Harper’s Jefferson (Mississippi) Artillery at Shiloh

Ole Miss

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. QM Stones River / Franklin 2022
Harper’s Jefferson (Mississippi) Artillery was established at Fayette, MS on April 13, 1861 and was armed with 2 6-pounder cannons and 2 12-pounder howitzers. They were in Wood’s Brigade of Hindman’s Division in Hardee’s Corps and heavily engaged at Shiloh suffering 8 WIA with 6 horses KIA and 2 horses WIA. On Monday April 7 they were in place at the intersection of the Hamburg-Purdy Road and the Eastern Corinth Road which is just a little South of Duncan Field. Their infantry supports, the 2nd​ Tennessee and the 13th​ Arkansas, were forced to retire to resupply with ammunition which left Harper’s Battery unsupported facing the Union infantry which enabled the 14th​ Wisconsin captured one of their 6-pounder tubes.
Regards
David

This position marks the location Harper's Battery just at the Southwest corner of Sarah Bell's Cottonfield. The George Manse Cabin is in the left backfround and it marks the end of the Sunken Road. The artillery pieces pictured are 3.8" James Bronze Rifles.

1607903989320.png

Harper's Battery was heavily engaged in the Battle of Shiloh as is shown in Captain Harper's Official Report
Regards
David

Report of Capt. W. L. Harper, Jefferson (Mississippi) Artillery.
Camp, near Corinth, Miss.
April 10,1862.
Sir: I have the honor to report the share taken by the battery under my command in the battle near the Tennessee River on the 6th and 7th instant:
Moving off under your orders in rear of the advance line, as the fire of the skirmishers became sharp I continued to make the best progress I could, with weak and hungry horses, across the ridges of timbered land that separated our position from the enemy’s camp. In conjunction with the Arkansas batteries, on my left, we frequently halted upon eminences where the guns could be used to advantage in case of need; but our infantry continuing to press the enemy back, we had little else to do but make the best progress possible across ground frequently difficult for artillery. It was the impediment of the ground that threw me too far to the right just as the enemy’s batteries began to thicken around us, and separated me from my command the first of the day. Hurrying up, however, I was ordered by General Hindman to open on the Yankee camp on the left of Captain Swett’s battery, then playing upon it. I suppose the thunder of our guns contributed toward the result that' followed, for they were soon seen double-quicking toward the opposite side of the lines of tents, and our own infantry charging at the same moment compelled us to cease firing. I then placed the battery in position on the opposite side of the camp, awaiting another opportunity for action, our infantry being stationed in front and for the time at rest. Renewing my efforts to find my brigade, I sent a sergeant more than a mile to the left, inquiring of every officer that passed, but could in no way obtain any satisfactory information.
Nothing was now left but to throw myself in wherever a chance offered. This the enemy soon gave me, for, having been shelled out of their camp, they seemed to think the same means would dislodge us. They opened a brisk cannonade with two batteries—one upon the front and the other upon the right oblique; their balls ranging well, but aim too high. In conjunction with a Georgia battery we returned their fire with so much effect that in the space of twenty minutes they either would not or could not sustain the contest, and I ordered a cessation of fire, when their smoke no longer indicated their position. It was now I foresaw a heavy struggle on the right. Many regiments of our infantry, supported by cavalry, were seen moving by the right flank in the woods in front of us, with a purpose, manifestly, to press the enemy in that quarter. I determined at once to support them. Moving to the right as far as the camp extended, I was ordered by Col. D. W. Adams to follow the direction taken by the infantry, which I did by crossing a deep hollow and making the best of my way up the opposite hill. Here I fortunately met General Cheatham and requested him to assign me a position. His command at this moment was at a halt. The enemy had a battery vigorously engaged with one of ours on our left oblique. He being directly in front, his position was about 400 yards across an open field, and his pieces could be distinctly seen glittering in the sun. The general ordered me to the front and to open fire immediately. (Facing North across Sarah Bell’s Field and Peach Orchard along the Hamburg-Purdy Road)
I cannot repress the belief that now ensued an artillery duel equal in interest to anything of the kind during the whole course of the action. As well as I could judge they had five guns; we four.
As soon as the contest began all parties seemed to silently await the result. We had some advantage of the ground, the curve of the surface being nearer us, thereby causing their shot to ricochet over us, while ours might fall directly among them. I attributed our miraculous escape either to this circumstance or the habitual high shooting of the enemy, for their missiles passed, with a perfect range, over us at from 5 to 20 feet high. We soon made him restless in that position, and our gunners had more than once to change the direction of their aim.
They, however, showed a perseverance to dislodge us as daring as unexpected, for, running a piece around and coming upon our right oblique, they opened upon us from about 150 yards distance. I ordered every gun at once to bear upon this one, and a few rounds soon stopped its mouth. A few more rounds were then discharged to the front, but their fire was by this much slackened, and soon ceased altogether. It was now time for the infantry to take up the fight, which they did by charging right through our battery, compelling us to cease firing.
I then gave the order to retire more to the rear, to avoid the hailstorm of balls that soon fell around from the heavy volleys of opposing musketry, as well as to allow time for the men to rest after such hard work.
The list of casualties in this day’s operation, I am glad to say, was small in proportion to the numbers engaged. I had 70 men exposed to fire, 8 of whom were wounded, some severely, but none dangerously: 3 horses were also killed.
I cannot mention any individual instances of gallantry where all seemed to deserve notice. Every man stood manfully to his post, and the gunners worked their pieces with admirable coolness, sometimes waiting to be told they were wasting time.
Inclosed you will find the operations of the battery on Monday, under orders of First Lieutenant Darden, upon whom the command devolved after my wound disabled me.
I have the honor to be, yours, respectfully,
W. L. HARPER, Captain Jefferson Artillery.
General Wood.
Official Records of the Rebellion
Series 1, Volume X, Part 1
Pages 609-610

A close up of the tablet

1607907280278.png

Harper’s Jefferson (Mississippi) Artillery was established at Fayette, MS on April 13, 1861 and was armed with 2 6-pounder cannons and 2 12-pounder howitzers. They were in Wood’s Brigade of Hindman’s Division in Hardee’s Corps and heavily engaged at Shiloh suffering 8 WIA with 6 horses KIA and 2 horses WIA. On Monday April 7 they were in place at the intersection of the Hamburg-Purdy Road and the Eastern Corinth Road which is just a little South of Duncan Field. Their infantry supports, the 2nd​ Tennessee and the 13th​ Arkansas, were forced to retire to resupply with ammunition which left Harper’s Battery unsupported facing the Union infantry which enabled the 14th​ Wisconsin captured one of their 6-pounder tubes.
Regards
David

This position marks the location Harper's Battery just at the Southwest corner of Sarah Bell's Cottonfield. The George Manse Cabin is in the left backfround and it marks the end of the Sunken Road. The artillery pieces pictured are 3.8" James Bronze Rifles.

View attachment 384475
Know that spot well . Great photo

This is the supplemental report made by Lieutenant Darden after he took command.
Regards
David

Report of Lieut. Put. Darden, Jefferson Artillery.
Camp, near Corinth, Miss., April 10, 1862.
Sir: I have the honor to report that on the morning of April 7 I took command of the company agreeably to your orders. First Sergeant Coleman, Second Sergeant Bullin, Third Sergeant Wade, Fifth Sergeant Wilcox, First Gunner Hendrickson, Private Manifold, acting second gunner; Brown, third gunner; Marschalk, fourth gunner, and 50 privates were on duty, besides 4 men that were detailed to assist Dr. Turpin with the wounded. I placed Sergeant Coleman in command of the left section, taking immediate command of the right myself. I did this because I had so few officers on duty.
Before sunup I was ordered to the rear. After traveling about 1 mile I received orders from General Withers to move to the battle-field as soon as possible. When I arrived at the first line of the enemy’s camp General Hardee ordered me to follow the advancing column and open fire on the left of the Washington Light Artillery. Moved forward into battery, and opened fire on the enemy with solid shot, shell, and canister. Though I had only 6 men to work each gun, and worn-out by the previous day’s work, they fought well and with desperation for about thirty minutes, when they began to fall of exhaustion at their posts. Our supporting infantry was driven back, our canister was all gone, and the men so disabled that we limbered up under a galling fire from the enemy and retired from the action, where I received orders to fall back still farther on the rear.
I shortly afterward received orders from General Beauregard to repair at once to Corinth and report to him.
I neglected to state that, before leaving the field of action, 3 horses of the second gun were killed and 2 wounded, and we were so hardly pressed, the enemy being only 50 or 75 yards distant, that we were compelled to abandon it., (The 14th Wiscons-in Infantry initially over ran the Rebel Battery and spiked the gun and burned the carriage but were forced backed. Soon they again advanced and recaptured the 6-pounder which was sent home to Wisconsin. Their infantry supports, the 2nd Tennessee and the 13th Arkansas, were forced to retire to resupply with ammunition which left Harper’s Battery unsupported facing the Union infantry which enabled the 14th Wisconsin captured one of their 6-pounder tubes.)
On leaving the field I found a 12-pounder howitzer, with 4 horses attached to it, which had been captured from the enemy. I immediately ordered Acting Lieutenant Coleman to have it driven along with the battery. We lost the rear part of the caisson to the second gun.
None of our men were killed or wounded.
In conclusion, sir, it affords me great pleasure to assure you that all, both officers and privates, stood to their posts and performed their arduous and dangerous duties with bravery, gallantry, and energy.
Yours, respectfully,
PUT. DARDEN,
Lieutenant, Commanding Jefferson Artillery.
Capt. W. L. Harper.

Pages 610-611

Great photo as always and I know the spot well and the Jefferson artillery was mustered in by my GGG Grandfather. W H McCardle
Darden, Putman.jpg

This picture is of Harper's Battery position on Day 2 of the battle. This is the intersection of the Eastern Corinth Road and the Hamburg/Purdy Road due South of the Sunken Road.
Regards
David

The left cannon is a 6-pounder Bronze Gun, Alger, Model 1835 and the one one the right is a 6-pounder Bronze Gun, Alger, Model 1841, converted to 3.67" Rifle.

1607989163348.png

Close up of tablet

1607989468104.png

The 6-pounder Bronze Gun on the left side

1607990024114.png

The 6-pounder converted to a 3.67" Rifle on the right side.

1607990322094.png

A close up view of the rifling

1607990506857.png
u

This is the supplemental report made by Lieutenant Darden after he took command.
Regards
David

Report of Lieut. Put. Darden, Jefferson Artillery.
Camp, near Corinth, Miss., April 10, 1862.
Sir: I have the honor to report that on the morning of April 7 I took command of the company agreeably to your orders. First Sergeant Coleman, Second Sergeant Bullin, Third Sergeant Wade, Fifth Sergeant Wilcox, First Gunner Hendrickson, Private Manifold, acting second gunner; Brown, third gunner; Marschalk, fourth gunner, and 50 privates were on duty, besides 4 men that were detailed to assist Dr. Turpin with the wounded. I placed Sergeant Coleman in command of the left section, taking immediate command of the right myself. I did this because I had so few officers on duty.
Before sunup I was ordered to the rear. After traveling about 1 mile I received orders from General Withers to move to the battle-field as soon as possible. When I arrived at the first line of the enemy’s camp General Hardee ordered me to follow the advancing column and open fire on the left of the Washington Light Artillery. Moved forward into battery, and opened fire on the enemy with solid shot, shell, and canister. Though I had only 6 men to work each gun, and worn-out by the previous day’s work, they fought well and with desperation for about thirty minutes, when they began to fall of exhaustion at their posts. Our supporting infantry was driven back, our canister was all gone, and the men so disabled that we limbered up under a galling fire from the enemy and retired from the action, where I received orders to fall back still farther on the rear.
I shortly afterward received orders from General Beauregard to repair at once to Corinth and report to him.
I neglected to state that, before leaving the field of action, 3 horses of the second gun were killed and 2 wounded, and we were so hardly pressed, the enemy being only 50 or 75 yards distant, that we were compelled to abandon it., (The 14th Wiscons-in Infantry initially over ran the Rebel Battery and spiked the gun and burned the carriage but were forced backed. Soon they again advanced and recaptured the 6-pounder which was sent home to Wisconsin. Their infantry supports, the 2nd Tennessee and the 13th Arkansas, were forced to retire to resupply with ammunition which left Harper’s Battery unsupported facing the Union infantry which enabled the 14th Wisconsin captured one of their 6-pounder tubes.)
On leaving the field I found a 12-pounder howitzer, with 4 horses attached to it, which had been captured from the enemy. I immediately ordered Acting Lieutenant Coleman to have it driven along with the battery. We lost the rear part of the caisson to the second gun.
None of our men were killed or wounded.
In conclusion, sir, it affords me great pleasure to assure you that all, both officers and privates, stood to their posts and performed their arduous and dangerous duties with bravery, gallantry, and energy.
Yours, respectfully,
PUT. DARDEN,
Lieutenant, Commanding Jefferson Artillery.
Capt. W. L. Harper.

Pages 610-611
Do you know if the order to report to Beauregard at Corinth was to explain the necessity of his leaving the front?
Thanks,
Lubliner.

I was the interpretive Park Ranger at Mount Locust near the Southern Terminus of the Natchez Trace Parkway. There in the private family cemetery was buried Ferdinand Jefferson ("Jeff") Chamberlain. He was one of the wounded of the Jefferson Flying Artillery on April 6th, 1862 at Shiloh. The wound to the arm was severe enough to cause its amputation.

Jeff Chamberlain had decided fairly late to join the unit, of which his brother was already a part for many months, not reaching the battery probably until early March 1862. By April he had lost his arm at the epic contest of the Western Theater, and by May he had returned home for good to Jefferson County, Mississippi. I always enjoyed telling his story as it highlighted the suddenness, the violence, and the randomness of the early War and how in the blink of an eye, or in this case in the single firing of a counter battery fire round, a life was forever altered.
LouisianaBiloxi 007.JPG

Back