"Hard Tack" (Anaglyph Stereoview)

AndyHall

Colonel
HardTack.JPG

LoC Image, http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2011660062/resource/

Probably no worse for their immersion. A good soaking might have made them a little more palatable.

Andy,

God's truth!

When I would do my school presentations of a typical Union soldier from Ohio, I would often share with the class certain food items for them to taste.

I would hand out hard tack to the kids with the warning I was not responsible for cracked teeth or biting into a worm. Amazing how many of the crackers were returned without one attempt to try a bite! :smile:

Unionblue

In 2008, Heritage Auctions sold this box, from a different maker:
lf.jpg
It was described as:
"Discarded Wooden "Army Bread" / Hardtack Crate Found Near the Gettysburg Battlefield Shortly after the Battle. Measures 18" x 25 ¼" x 9 ¾" high pine wood crate assembled with square cut nails and stenciled on the bottom, weathered / faded," Army Bread/From/Kendall Bros. & Co./Cor. Powers (large stain)/US/Sub/Dep/June 1863." Doubtless issued during the battle. Excellent sound condition and a most unusual Gettysburg artifact."

Don't know the winning bid -- have to register to find out.

In 2008, Heritage Auctions sold this box, from a different maker:
It was described as:
"Discarded Wooden "Army Bread" / Hardtack Crate Found Near the Gettysburg Battlefield Shortly after the Battle. Measures 18" x 25 ¼" x 9 ¾" high pine wood crate assembled with square cut nails and stenciled on the bottom, weathered / faded," Army Bread/From/Kendall Bros. & Co./Cor. Powers (large stain)/US/Sub/Dep/June 1863." Doubtless issued during the battle. Excellent sound condition and a most unusual Gettysburg artifact."

Don't know the winning bid -- have to register to find out.

That is one VERY expensive box.....

Sold for: $17,925.00
Discarded Wooden "Army Bread" / Hardtack Crate Found Near the Gettysburg Battlefield Shortly after the Battle....

lf?set=path%5B4%2F2%2F0%2F6%2F4206194%5D%2Csizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.jpg

Back