Hard Marching

Yore Pard

Cadet
As a new reenactor recruit I am slowly equipping with the most authentic kit I can afford
I am looking for suggestions as to footwear and brogans vs boots

My impression as a 1st MN Volunteers infantry private affords ample opportunity for drilling and marching.
Problematic is that due to past trauma I only able to sustain marching and skirmishing afield with incorporation of custom orthotics in special footwear.
With these, my pursuits as an outdoorsman, hiking and hard marching are not a problem
It is usually not noticeable as modern footwear

However, for authenticity any direction as to possible footwear that is acceptable but possibly accommodate this challenge would be appreciated?
Missouri Shoe and Boot is a suggestion that I have reached out to in this regard
Does anyone else have experience firsthand or offer advice - please?

It appears that historically provisioning any footwear without considerations of comfort rather than going barefoot was challenging enough and I am not without enthusiasm for the portrayal of their hardship endured in all areas.
Hopefully, my dedication to doing so authentically does not necessitate my role as an armchair reenactor
Thank you!
Yore Pard

As a new reenactor recruit I am slowly equipping with the most authentic kit I can afford
I am looking for suggestions as to footwear and brogans vs boots

My impression as a 1st MN Volunteers infantry private affords ample opportunity for drilling and marching.
Problematic is that due to past trauma I only able to sustain marching and skirmishing afield with incorporation of custom orthotics in special footwear.
With these, my pursuits as an outdoorsman, hiking and hard marching are not a problem
It is usually not noticeable as modern footwear

However, for authenticity any direction as to possible footwear that is acceptable but possibly accommodate this challenge would be appreciated?
Missouri Shoe and Boot is a suggestion that I have reached out to in this regard
Does anyone else have experience firsthand or offer advice - please?

It appears that historically provisioning any footwear without considerations of comfort rather than going barefoot was challenging enough and I am not without enthusiasm for the portrayal of their hardship endured in all areas.
Hopefully, my dedication to doing so authentically does not necessitate my role as an armchair reenactor
Thank you!
Yore Pard

Missouri Boot & Shoe is indeed the first choice I would suggest. They're good people down there and know their trade very well. I have never heard anything but good things about them. I own a couple second hand pieces and they are of the highest quality.

Good Luck.

I second Missouri Boot, I have a pair of excellent shoes from them and also second that they are super nice. I would give him a call and talk to him about your needs and I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

Back