Hard Core Confederate Vicksburg Prisoner, Is This Story True?

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Here is an article I came across in the 1904 CV magazine. If this story is true this is one HARD CORE Confederate. The article states that it was exhibited by a well known N.O. painter. If so, it has to be somewhere. I would love to find out more about this and hopefully see the painting. Any help finding this would be great appreciated.

hand.png

I would love to see the picture illustration.

Weren't all of Pemberton's troops marched out under their own officers to parole camps to await the parole process and not to POW camps for incarceration? I believe the Missouri troops went to Demopolis, Alabama to wait for their parole to be finalized. Then they were transferred to the AOT and the Atlanta campaign theater.

Weren't all of Pemberton's troops marched out under their own officers to parole camps to await the parole process and not to POW camps for incarceration? I believe the Missouri troops went to Demopolis, Alabama to wait for their parole to be finalized. Then they were transferred to the AOT and the Atlanta campaign theater.

Not all of them. There were a few that were rounded up after the surrender who refused to sign an oath. I know all Missouri troops went to Demopolis as I located their camp about 6 years ago. If it wasn't from a diary of a Missouri soldier ML Truman I would never had found it.

https://ucvrelics.com/current-excavations

I would love to see the picture illustration.
You're welcome. :D
Medium sized JPEG.jpg

Louisiana Digital Library, "Episode of the American War: Determination and Courage of a Confederate Prisoner at Vicksburg." http://louisianadigitallibrary.org/islandora/search/mods_subject_topic_ms:"Confederate"?page=1

"Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1864 by D. CANOVA, in the Clerk's office, of the District Court of the U. S. for the Eastern District of La.

Print shows a Confederate prisoner chopping off his own hand rather than working for the Union. Vicksburg, November 20th -- Among the prisoners captured in Louisiana by the United States Gunboats, and who had up to this date been closely confined was one P. ALBERT MELTON, a man noted for his daring and resolute character. This morning he was ordered to go to work with the other prisoners and upon his refusal, the guard was sent for to enforce obedience, when suddenly seizing upon a hatchet he chopped off his left hand, not however by a single blow but by repeated strokes, the presenting of the stump to the Lieutenant on duty he cooly asked him if he thought he should now work for the Government of the United States. N. O. Bee, December 4th, 1864."

Signed: D Canovag but the artists name is Dominique CANOVA

Here is a link to Mr. Albert Mellen's Find-A-Grave memorial. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/94233351/albert-moore-mellen

Last edited:
Thanks Now it brings the whole article together.

Back