Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Will you be Festive this St. Patricks Day?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My vote isn't strictly accurate, since I'm not Irish. But I am of Irish ancestry, and very proud of it. I've visited the spot where Michael Collins was killed, and I've slept on the battlefield of Vinegar Hill in County Wexford. Erin go Bragh.

Sorry,

My ancestory is Scottish/English as the name 'Hamilton' is from 'Hameal' and 'Toens' and were combined because of an unfortunate sexual encounter on the Scottish English border a long time ago.

But, I have pinned to my chest a large, garish green shamrock to celebrate St. Pat's birthday.

Enjoy,
Unionblue

There may be a hint if Irish in my background (ca 1600). But other than that, I don't like green beer, will not wear green, and will wait for corned beef to go on sale after the event. Love corned beef, horseradish, buttered potatoes and cabbage. Pigout time!

Waiting to see if our Swedish member comes back to guage how the peculiar "holiday" is celebrated in the REAL north. May have Swedish blood (ca 1600) as well but vociferously deny it.

Sorry Swedish guy, I'm just to lazy to go back through posts in other threads to find the name.

I know this is an old poll, but St Patricks day is coming soon so I have brought it to the top. You may be interested to know that St Patricks day is celebrated in England. While this is largely, if not completely, due to promotions by the Guinness brewery, hardly anyone in England knows when St Georges day is. Yet most people know when St Patricks day is.

We don't observe the holiday in our house. Americans have the disgusting habit of imbibing green-dyed beer, but Chicago has dyed its river green for decades. Then there are elaborate parades being taken over by gay pride. Nothing of St. Patrick in any of it -- just an excuse to party.
Ole

not all.......

Both Ms. Rad and I are proud of our Irish ancestry (Butler and O'Rourke) We will celebrate that weekend in Gettysburg at the Battlefield B&B. A great time will be had by all there.

I'm in charge of a St. Patrick's Day dinner at my church. Singing, traditional dancing, corned beef and cabbage, the whole 9 yards.

In Boston, Irish pride had a distinctly political and defiant edge to it for decades. In Suffolk County(where Boston is located), its a holiday officially called "Evacuation Day" (March 17, 1776 was when the British army was finally forced out of Boston) but it was established by the first Irish American mayors and city councilmen in the 20th century as "our" holiday.

My boss was from Ireland, and she remembered St. Pat's day as "another day we had to go to Church" but there is a big parade in Dublin now, as well. The parade through South Boston is quite the deal.

There is always a big squabble about gay organizations marching in the parade, I can't actually remember if its OK in Boston this year or not.

Corn beef & cabbage is actually a amercan thing and was not brought over from Ireland. :smile: The History Channel usually has a show on the History of St. Patrick's Day.

I will wear a touch of green in memory Of Patrick Cleburne and the rest of the Irish lads that served the the War Between the States and all other wars.

My ancestors came from near Waterford (couldn't get a job at the crystal factory).

We here in San Antonio will be dying the San Antonio River green and renaming it the Shannon for the day. This is followed by a festival by the Harp and Shamrock society. Of course, this is just a warmup to Fiesta in April.

Back