Happy Friday the 13th!

You got me wondering what happened on 13th of Friday’s that are related to the Civil War.

Friday, September 13, 1861 - The Battle of Cheat Mountain

Friday, December 13, 1861 - Colonel Edward Johnson receives the nickname “Allegheny” in a battle that took place on the slopes of the Allegheny Mountain.

Friday, June 13, 1862 - J.E.B. Stuart rides completely around the Union Army, giving General Lee important intelligence on the Union Army - much to the embarrassment of General McClellan.

Friday - September 13, 1862 - A private in the Union Army finds 3 cigars with Lee’s Special Order 191, as it’s carrying case.

Friday, February 13, 1863 - the USS Indianola runs the Vicksburg batteries on the Mississippi.

Friday, May 13, 1864 - Lines shifted at Spotsylvania Court House, lines tested at Resaca, Georgia and Drewry’s Bluff, Virginia. Retreat from the Red River Campaign and Fort Sumter was bombarded.

Friday, January 13, 1865 - John Bell Hood resigns, Union troops lands outside Fort Fisher.

By the Way -

General Nathan Bedford was born on July 13, 1821 - Friday.

What other interesting information happened a Friday the 13th???

https://acwm.org/blog/day-history-friday-13th-civil-watps://acwm.org/blog/day-history-friday-13th-civil-war

2014-09-09-Moon-030-1.jpg

General Nathan Bedford was born on July 13, 1821 - Friday.
I remember @diane telling me about that. It being a Friday and all.

And we have the incident with Lee's Special Order 191 as well as J.E.B Stuart's ride around the Union army :eek: :eek: A couple of major incidents of 'bad luck'!

Personally, I don't put much store by these things, and most often don't pay attention to the day/date in terms of being superstitious.

Interesting link from the American Civil War Museum in Richmond, though. I guess they know the penchant people have for these things.

Back