1893 – 1897: United States Marshal Western District of Missouri
Shelby 1.jpg

Died: February 13, 1897

Place of Death: Adrian Missouri

Age at time of Death: 66 years old

Cause of Death: Pneumonia

Burial Place: Forest Hill Cemetery Kansas City Missouri

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn't put this in another comment, or list it as an edit?

No it has not stood the test of time. Here's a pretty well researched article from True West Magazine where the truth was laid bare:

Or are the authors of a magazine that heaps praise on the James-Younger boys a liar?
No I actually read it earlier today, and is what I based that modern historians do believe Rapp was responsible.......confirming what Edwards wrote in 1867, year may be off

Though the original account being discussed was if the flag was sunk in the river.

I think the first hand accounts in that article pretty well discredit Edwards and if he backed it up Slayback. But like when we were in Vicksburg, I reckon I'm reading hostile "Texas Propaganda" again. I have a bad habit of that.
No the only things it disputes is who stopped the raid that nite. I have said Edwards was guilty of embellishment at times, but the Edwards account of who and how they broke in is accurate, as is Shelbys men helped restore order and protect Treasury while there. As is I believe they were thanked for doing so by Governor Murrah, who joins Shelby. So it shows the fallacy of discounting Edwards accounts as it included many truths that have stood the test of time.......I understand you dont like he slighted Freeman, but it doesnt make the rest of his account false at all

Edit- "texas propaganda" LOL I assume such as the https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qms01

Note the apparent Texas propaganda with their "While crossing the Rio Grande at Piedras Negras, they sank their Confederate guidon in the river, in what came to be known as the "Grave of the Confederacy Incident."

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a collection of later Shelby memorabilia? For example, what would he have had in his U.S. Marshall office in Kansas City after the war, and where would those items be today?

Can't help you Patrick... but I sure wish he would have lived long enough to have finished this.

the san francisco call june 20 1896 shelby writing a book.jpg

San Francisco Call June 20 1896

If you have ever read General Jo Shelby Undefeated Rebel by Daniel O'Flaherty (page 8) or Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade by Deryl Sellmeyer (page 285), a rock or rocks is mentioned as the means to get the flag to sink into the water.

Also Polloco, according to Colonel Slayback, Shelby sank his plume with the flag, meaning it possibly carried some sort of military symbolism.
If it would be possible,could one rank ,with explanation,the calvary generals,excluding Stuart and Forrest.of the Confederacy as to achievement and overall leadership.Stuart and Forrest fought with regular forces I am more interested in the Confederate raiders ,excluding the infamous Quaintril.

Last edited:
There is a story of how He took the battle flag , wrapped it around a rock and then threw it into the Rio Grande. Saying something like this flag will never surrender or something like that. Is there any truth to that legend?
I have read quite a bit on General Shelby over the years. I recently had a 2 ft x 3 ft oil on canvas done of him from the original. The painting as received and the painting framed and hanging on my foyer, wall may be seen below.
Joseph Orville Shelby

View attachment 338162Born: December 12, 1830

Birthplace: Lexington Kentucky

Father: Orville Shelby 1803 – 1835

Mother: Anna Maria Boswell 1808 – 1892
(Buried: Lexington Cemetery Lexington Kentucky)​

Wife: Elizabeth M. Shelby 1841 – 1928
(Buried: Forest Hill Cemetery Kansas City Missouri)​

Children:

Joseph Boswell Shelby 1864 – 1940​
John Morgan Shelby 1878 – 1951​

Education:View attachment 338165

Attended Transylvania University​

Occupation before War:

Rope Manufacturer in Lexington Kentucky​
Steam Boating Businessman on the Missouri River​
Owner of a Hemp Plantation in Missouri​
Led a company on the pro slavery Side during bleeding Kansas​

Civil War Career:View attachment 338163

1861: Captain of a Cavalry Company​
1862 – 1863: Colonel of Confederate Army Cavalry​
1863: Leader of Shelby's Great Raid in Missouri and back to Arkansas​
1863 – 1865: Brigadier General of Confederate Army Cavalry​
Distinguished himself during Sterling Price's Missouri Raid​
1865: Unofficially a Major General of Confederate Army Cavalry​

Occupation after War:

1865: Rode South to Mexico with a 1,000 men not surrendering​
1865 – 1867: Lived in Veracruz Mexico​
1867 – 1893: Farmer in Missouri​
1893 – 1897: United States Marshal Western District of MissouriView attachment 338164

Finiished painting of Major General Jo Shelby.jpg
Major General Jo Shelby.jpg

Joseph Orville Shelby

View attachment 338162Born: December 12, 1830

Birthplace: Lexington Kentucky

Father: Orville Shelby 1803 – 1835

Mother: Anna Maria Boswell 1808 – 1892
(Buried: Lexington Cemetery Lexington Kentucky)​

Wife: Elizabeth M. Shelby 1841 – 1928

Children:

Joseph Boswell Shelby 1864 – 1940​
John Morgan Shelby 1878 – 1951​

Education:View attachment 338165

Attended Transylvania University​

Occupation before War:

Rope Manufacturer in Lexington Kentucky​
Steam Boating Businessman on the Missouri River​
Owner of a Hemp Plantation in Missouri​
Led a company on the pro slavery Side during bleeding Kansas​

Civil War Career:View attachment 338163

1861: Captain of a Cavalry Company​
1862 – 1863: Colonel of Confederate Army Cavalry​
1863: Leader of Shelby's Great Raid in Missouri and back to Arkansas​
1863 – 1865: Brigadier General of Confederate Army Cavalry​
Distinguished himself during Sterling Price's Missouri Raid​
1865: Unofficially a Major General of Confederate Army Cavalry​

Occupation after War:

1865: Rode South to Mexico with a 1,000 men not surrendering​
1865 – 1867: Lived in Veracruz Mexico​
1867 – 1893: Farmer in Missouri​
1893 – 1897: United States Marshal Western District of MissouriView attachment 338164

Did not Sellmeyer on p.353 of "Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade" write that Shelby identified the date of the flag burial in a note to newly-elected President McKinley as July 3? This is in a footnote of the book I have, "General Jo Shelby's March" by Anthony Arthur, 2010. I would assume Sellmeyer had some evidence of the note. I do not have that book.

Last edited:
Although presently hard to find, about 25 years ago Randall L Greenwood wrote a three volume novel about Shelby and his Iron Brigade. Since they were released by a publisher that specialized in pulp Westerns they failed to get much attention among Civil War readers. Greenwood was inspired as a child by Harold Keith's Rifles for Watie. Like Keith, his forward suggests Greenwood spent a lot of time visiting the battlefields and cultivating local sources. In chronological order the volumes are:

Burn, Missouri Burn
Kansas, Bloody Kansas
Ride, Rebels Ride

During the great Missouri raid in 1864 by General Price, Shelby's old brigade was commanded by none other than M Jeff Thompson, 'the old swamp fox;" recently released from POW prison.

I've always wondered what became of Shelby's writings?He was supposedly writing his autobiography when he passed away. There should be a manuscript or something remaining of it.

Did not Sellmeyer on p.353 of "Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade" write that Shelby identified the date of the flag burial in a note to newly-elected President McKinley as July 3? This is in a footnote of the book I have, "General Jo Shelby's March" by Anthony Arthur, 2010. I would assume Sellmeyer had some evidence of the note. I do not have that book.
In the footnotes to the claim Sellmeyer noted July 3 as the date Shelby claimed in a congratulatory message to president-elect McKinley, then notes it was reported by Sam Box as July 1st, and Edwards as July 4th. So there is no consensus. All three were supposed to have been there.

Shelby's recollection would been over 30 yrs after the incident. Interesting it seems off hand he used Edwards account but with Shelby's date instead of Edwards.

In the footnotes to the claim Sellmeyer noted July 3 as the date Shelby claimed in a congratulatory message to president-elect McKinley, then notes it was reported by Sam Box as July 1st, and Edwards as July 4th. So there is no consensus. All three were supposed to have been there.

Shelby's recollection would been over 30 yrs after the incident. Interesting it seems off hand he used Edwards account but with Shelby's date instead of Edward
Of all Confederate calvary commanders where would Shelby's placement be? There are many great calvary generals of the CSA there have not been rendered the recognition say a Stuart or Forrest has been glorified by military historians. Is there a method whereby a ranking of said commander be done. I would even like to see how F. Lee would be ranked.

Back