1882 – 1884: Member of Board of Supervisors for LSU​
Coiner at United States Mint at New Orleans​
1894 – 1897: United States Minister to Venezuela​

Died:
December 3, 1907

Place of Death: Waveland, Mississippi

Age at time of Death: 76 years old

Cause of Death: Not Known

Burial Place: Ascension of our lord Catholic Church, Donaldsonville, LA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen's regiment was part of Stephen Lee's, later Francis Shoup's, Louisiana Brigade, serving in the defenses of Vicksburg. With the surrender at Vicksburg, they would form the backbone of Thomas' Brigade, along with other Louisianans in other regiments and brigades.

8/19/63 After the Vicksburg surrender, Col Allen, & Col Allen Thomas, were both recommended to President Davis for promotion at the same time by the same general officers. They both happened to be in Richmond at one time. Col Allen Thomas was much attached to Col Allen. Mr. Davis, in conversation with Col Thomas, mentioned the fact of his having but one Bgde to bestow at the moment, & that he was rather at a loss what to do, as both Col Allen & he seemed to have equal claims to it. Col Thomas instantly entreated him to give it to Col Allen, who was an older man, who had been so terribly wounded in the service, & he really believed a better soldier than himself. President Davis thanked Col Thomas. An hour afterwards Col Thomas met Col Allen, still creeping along on his crutches; he accosted him cheerfully: "Good-morning, Gen I" "How! Why Gen?" exclaimed Allen.

"Simply because I have just parted with the President, & you are promoted."

Allen grasped his hand warmly. He never forgot Thomas' friendly generosity. As soon as he was elected Governor of the State of La, he wrote to President Davis, & Col Allen Thomas received Gen Allen's old Bgde

11/20/63 Shreveport, Hqs Allen's Bgde-Gen Allen to Sec of War-I propose in a few days to resign my position as Brig Gen having been elected Governor of La. I submit Col Thomas of 28th​ La as my successor. He has been recommended by Pemberton, Smith, & Lee & Baldwin. Also, others incl Maury & Stevenson

1/20/64 Shreveport, H W Allen to Col Thomas-My dear friend-I have turned over to you the command of the Bgde & directed Capt E. Miltenberger to remain in the office here subject to your order.
I hope that you will have no trouble in assembling the officers & men & that you may soon be duly exchanged & put in the field.
In regard to your promotion, I have this to say---Gen Smith tells me that you will retain command of the Bgde under Gen Liddell who will command the District North of Red River under Gen Taylor. I asked him to recommend you & his reply was—that the Pres would not make any more Brigadiers at present except for gallant services rendered, since the fall of Vicksburg & Port Hudson. He says that you are in the line of promotion & you have it more in your power to be Gen! Confidentially, he asked me about your habits. I told him they were good.
Now my dear fellow, get your Bgde together—Go to work—stay with your men—Do your duty & all will be well.
PS: Write me at your leisure. My staff is all busily engaged in crossing arms for the Bgde. I wish them all retained. They will report to you as soon as they arrive.

2/17/64 Col Thomas' Commission as Brig Gen, to rank from 2/4. Gen Thomas to report to Gen Smith for assignment to the command of W H Allen's Bgde. His Bgde had not, however, been exchanged in time to participate in the spring campaign of 1864. When assembled it was assigned to the Div of Gen Polignac. This Div he was in charge of after Polignac went to Europe, & Kirby Smith referred to him as an able Div Cdr.

1/1/65 Thomas was placed in command of all front-line forces in the Dist of W La. Several weeks later, the Bgde formerly commanded by Gen Gray was joined to Thomas' to make Thomas a Div Cdr. Despite the earlier report of Schaumburg, Gen Smith considered Thomas an efficient Div Cdr shortly after the addition of the Bgde.

Thomas was promoted to Gen on 2/4/64, & assigned to command of a Bgde of all La troops captured at Vicksburg. Returning to La on parole he was exchanged & began to reassemble the troops

In this he had great difficulty due to desertions & the disruptive Red River campaign. Although highly praised as Cdr of a Regt, as a Bgde Cdr he was criticized by an inspector [Schaumburg]for being too lax as a disciplinarian & a poor administrator

In Jan 65, he took command of Polignac's small Div. In April, he was replaced by Harry Hayes & returned to his Bgde command.

5/10/65 Gen Hays was notified of his appointment as Major-Gen. But the Confederacy had already ceased to exist everywhere, except in the Trans-Ms Dept, where he then was.

Back