Happy 4th of July from Gettysburg

Independence-Day-USA-Greetings-Quotes-Wishes-Cards-Lines-2016-800x445.jpg

"The original lyric for this perennial George M. Cohan favorite came, as Cohan later explained, from an encounter he had with a Civil War veteran who fought at Gettysburg. The two men found themselves next to each other and Cohan noticed the vet held a carefully folded but ragged old flag. The man reportedly then turned to Cohan and said, "She's a grand old rag." Cohan thought it was a great line and originally named his tune "You're a Grand Old Rag." So many groups and individuals objected to calling the flag a "rag," however, that he "gave 'em what they wanted" and switched words, renaming the song "You're a Grand Old Flag."

https://loc.gov/item/ihas.200000026

Great photo. Does anyone know if the powder smoke on July 2, 1863, would have persisted, as the fog does in this photo. or if there was enough breeze to blow it away? I know it was hot that day, but was their any significant wind? Inquiring minds want to know.

Great photo. Does anyone know if the powder smoke on July 2, 1863, would have persisted, as the fog does in this photo. or if there was enough breeze to blow it away? I know it was hot that day, but was their any significant wind? Inquiring minds want to know.

We have quite a few Gettysburg experts who could answer that? I read an account ( maybe by a civilian? ) describing the battle smoke Day 3, before Pickett's Charge. It sounds like it was one of our dreadful, HHH summer days we get here in PA. If so, there isn't a breeze until you get to New York.

Back