Hanukkah, A Festival of Freedom

amweiner

2nd Lieutenant
The threads discussing Christmas during the War made me curious about the extent to which Hanukkah was celebrated by Jewish soldiers. The short answer is - not much.

A little background for anyone who isn't too familiar with the holiday (please forgive me if you know all this):
Hanukkah (or Chanukah or חֲנֻכָּה or however you spell it, depending on where you're from) is a Jewish holiday commemorating the victory of Jewish rebels over the Syrian Greeks in about 167 B.C., as well as the rededication of the Jewish Temple. It's always been a minor holiday. Early Jewish rabbis wanted this downplayed, as the Maccabean rebels set up their own kingdom and emphasized the military victory instead of recounting the supposed miracle in which the oil for the Temple menorah, enough for only one day, lasted for eight. The most common customs are lighting a special menorah, or candelabra, adding a candle each successive night, eating foods fried in oil like potato pancakes or fried doughnuts, and giving small gifts of money to family members or those in need. Pretty simple, right?

From everything I can find, Hanukkah remained a very minor, unimportant celebration in 1860s America. Part of this was the proximity of the holiday to Christmas, as well as mixed feelings of American Jews about fully assimilating. This ambivalence can be seen in several period anecdotes. A New York journalist, Mordecai Noah, reportedly hung Christmas stockings in his home, despite being an observant Jew, to celebrate "Christmas as the birthday of the religion that had spread monotheism around the world". The New York times reported in 1856 that “in most European countries, however repugnant it may be to their sentiments, we find the Jews giving presents on Christmas,” while in New York, “they are released from this awkward predicament, for they can give their children presents at New-Year’s". Reportedly Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise, the rabbi who helped establish American Reform Judaism, published in 1860 a serial short story about the Maccabees. “He stretched it over 39 weeks, so it became an American melodrama about Jews and religious commitment and the importance of fighting for your religious commitment, and about the importance of women in all of this.", according to Dr. Dianne Ashton.

Despite this, the enthusiasm for Hanukkah as a separate holiday was minimal. By the 1880s, one rabbi wrote, “The customary candles disappear more and more from Jewish homes", while a Jewish newspaper practically begged readers to light Hanukkah candles "if just for the experiment".

I couldn't find articles that addressed this specifically, but was curious about why Jews during the Civil War didn't embrace Hanukkah more; for Jews in the Confederacy, I would imagine a story about rebelling against powerful invaders would have appealed to them, while Jews in the Northern states could have been drawn to a fight for freedom. Although just a guess, it seems that the tension between the religious aspects and secular aspects of the holiday prevented this from gaining more widespread observance, a tension that was finally resolved after World War 2.

http://jewishstandard.timesofisrael.com/chanukah-in-america/
https://www.americanheritage.com/content/merry-chanukah

This is not about Hanukkah, but Seder. Still you get an insight.

Following is a letter written by a Jewish Confederate soldier, Isaac J. Levy (pictured at left) of the 46th Virginia Infantry, from camp in Adams Run South Carolina, describing to his sister how he and his brother Ezekiel ("Zeke") (pictured at right) observed Passover during the Civil War

isaacjl.jpg
zeke.jpg
Adams Run
April 24th, 1864

Dear Leonora

No doubt you were much surprised on receiving a letter from me addressed to our dear parents dated on the 21st inst which was the first day of פסח [Pesach]. [note from LMB: Orthodox Jews are prohibited from writing on Sabbath or a festival] We were all under the impression in camp that the first day of the festival was the 22nd and if my memory serves me right I think that Ma wrote me that Pesach was on the 22nd inst. Zeke [Isaac's brother Capt. Ezekiel J. Levy of the 46th VA] was somewhat astonished on arriving in Charleston on Wednesday afternoon, to learn that that was the first סדר [Seder] night. He purchased מצות [Matzot] sufficient to last us for the week. The cost is somewhat less than in Richmond, being but two dollars per pound. [For point of reference, Matzah in New York City was then 6 cents a pound. LMB] We are observing the festival in a truly Orthodox style. On the first day we had a fine vegetable soup. It was made of a bunch of vegetables which Zeke brought from Charleston containing new onions, parsley, carrots turnips and a young cauliflower also a pound and a half of fresh [kosher] beef, the latter article sells for four dollars per pound in Charleston. Zeke E. did not bring us any meat from home. He brought some of his own, smoked meat, which he is sharing with us, he says that he supposes that Pa forgot to deliver it to him.

No news in the section at present. Troops from Florida are passing over the road enroute for Richmond. 'Tis probable that we will remain in this department and were it not for the unhealthy season which is approaching, would be well satisfied to remain here.

We received this morning Sarah's letter of the 18th inst. [Sarah Levy, Isaac's sister] and are truly sorry to hear that her sight is affected and that in a few days she will have recovered entirely her perfect sight. [Sarah Levy recovered from her eye problems and after the war married her sweetheart Cpl. Edwin Kursheedt, of the Louisiana Washington Artillery.]

Love to all
Your affectionate Brother
Isaac J. Levy

Isaac J. Levy was killed in the trenches at Petersburg, August 21, 1864. He was 21 years old. Isaac is buried in the Hebrew Cemetery on Shockoe Hill in Richmond, in the Levy family plot.

The original letter is on file in the American Jewish Archives, Cincinnati, OH.

The threads discussing Christmas during the War made me curious about the extent to which Hanukkah was celebrated by Jewish soldiers. The short answer is - not much.

A little background for anyone who isn't too familiar with the holiday (please forgive me if you know all this):
Hanukkah (or Chanukah or חֲנֻכָּה or however you spell it, depending on where you're from) is a Jewish holiday commemorating the victory of Jewish rebels over the Syrian Greeks in about 167 B.C., as well as the rededication of the Jewish Temple. It's always been a minor holiday. Early Jewish rabbis wanted this downplayed, as the Maccabean rebels set up their own kingdom and emphasized the military victory instead of recounting the supposed miracle in which the oil for the Temple menorah, enough for only one day, lasted for eight. The most common customs are lighting a special menorah, or candelabra, adding a candle each successive night, eating foods fried in oil like potato pancakes or fried doughnuts, and giving small gifts of money to family members or those in need. Pretty simple, right?

From everything I can find, Hanukkah remained a very minor, unimportant celebration in 1860s America. Part of this was the proximity of the holiday to Christmas, as well as mixed feelings of American Jews about fully assimilating. This ambivalence can be seen in several period anecdotes. A New York journalist, Mordecai Noah, reportedly hung Christmas stockings in his home, despite being an observant Jew, to celebrate "Christmas as the birthday of the religion that had spread monotheism around the world". The New York times reported in 1856 that “in most European countries, however repugnant it may be to their sentiments, we find the Jews giving presents on Christmas,” while in New York, “they are released from this awkward predicament, for they can give their children presents at New-Year’s". Reportedly Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise, the rabbi who helped establish American Reform Judaism, published in 1860 a serial short story about the Maccabees. “He stretched it over 39 weeks, so it became an American melodrama about Jews and religious commitment and the importance of fighting for your religious commitment, and about the importance of women in all of this.", according to Dr. Dianne Ashton.

Despite this, the enthusiasm for Hanukkah as a separate holiday was minimal. By the 1880s, one rabbi wrote, “The customary candles disappear more and more from Jewish homes", while a Jewish newspaper practically begged readers to light Hanukkah candles "if just for the experiment".

I couldn't find articles that addressed this specifically, but was curious about why Jews during the Civil War didn't embrace Hanukkah more; for Jews in the Confederacy, I would imagine a story about rebelling against powerful invaders would have appealed to them, while Jews in the Northern states could have been drawn to a fight for freedom. Although just a guess, it seems that the tension between the religious aspects and secular aspects of the holiday prevented this from gaining more widespread observance, a tension that was finally resolved after World War 2.

http://jewishstandard.timesofisrael.com/chanukah-in-america/
https://www.americanheritage.com/content/merry-chanukah

Thanks so much for sharing this! It's an interesting look into Jewish history in the period. Living in NYC I'm so used to Jewish traditions, foods and holidays that I never thought about how difficult it was for practicing Jews in the 19th century.

At the office I have both a small Christmas tree and an electric Menorah. It makes me sad that they couldn't share their beliefs with their fellow Christian neighbors and enjoy some potato pancakes together. Just yesterday we had a fun Hanukkah breakfast on our floor with fried doughnuts and dreidel games with gold coins. Though I will add a friend who is more Orthodox said that Hanukkah is a lesser Jewish holiday for instance than Purim even, it's just become the commercial version of - excuse the term here - Jewish Christmas, as she said. Not that she minds of course, but it's original traditions got a bit melded with the Christian holiday season. I am glad though that today we've managed to revive the Festival of Lights.

Following is a letter written by a Jewish Confederate soldier, Isaac J. Levy (pictured at left) of the 46th Virginia Infantry, from camp in Adams Run South Carolina, describing to his sister how he and his brother Ezekiel ("Zeke") (pictured at right) observed Passover during the Civil War

Adams Run
April 24th, 1864

Dear Leonora

No doubt you were much surprised on receiving a letter from me addressed to our dear parents dated on the 21st inst which was the first day of פסח [Pesach]. [note from LMB: Orthodox Jews are prohibited from writing on Sabbath or a festival] We were all under the impression in camp that the first day of the festival was the 22nd and if my memory serves me right I think that Ma wrote me that Pesach was on the 22nd inst. Zeke [Isaac's brother Capt. Ezekiel J. Levy of the 46th VA] was somewhat astonished on arriving in Charleston on Wednesday afternoon, to learn that that was the first סדר [Seder] night. He purchased מצות [Matzot] sufficient to last us for the week. The cost is somewhat less than in Richmond, being but two dollars per pound. [For point of reference, Matzah in New York City was then 6 cents a pound. LMB] We are observing the festival in a truly Orthodox style. On the first day we had a fine vegetable soup. It was made of a bunch of vegetables which Zeke brought from Charleston containing new onions, parsley, carrots turnips and a young cauliflower also a pound and a half of fresh [kosher] beef, the latter article sells for four dollars per pound in Charleston. Zeke E. did not bring us any meat from home. He brought some of his own, smoked meat, which he is sharing with us, he says that he supposes that Pa forgot to deliver it to him.

No news in the section at present. Troops from Florida are passing over the road enroute for Richmond. 'Tis probable that we will remain in this department and were it not for the unhealthy season which is approaching, would be well satisfied to remain here.

We received this morning Sarah's letter of the 18th inst. [Sarah Levy, Isaac's sister] and are truly sorry to hear that her sight is affected and that in a few days she will have recovered entirely her perfect sight. [Sarah Levy recovered from her eye problems and after the war married her sweetheart Cpl. Edwin Kursheedt, of the Louisiana Washington Artillery.]

Love to all
Isaac J. Levy

Isaac J. Levy was killed in the trenches at Petersburg, August 21, 1864. He was 21 years old. Isaac is buried in the Hebrew Cemetery on Shockoe Hill in Richmond, in the Levy family plot.

Great letter! Thanks for sharing it - it's interesting to see how much expense and trouble they went through to observe Passover properly.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing this! It's an interesting look into Jewish history in the period. Living in NYC I'm so used to Jewish traditions, foods and holidays that I never thought about how difficult it was for practicing Jews in the 19th century.

At the office I have both a small Christmas tree and an electric Menorah. It makes me sad that they couldn't share their beliefs with their fellow Christian neighbors and enjoy some potato pancakes together. Just yesterday we had a fun Hanukkah breakfast on our floor with fried doughnuts and dreidel games with gold coins. Though I will add a friend who is more Orthodox said that Hanukkah is a lesser Jewish holiday for instance than Purim even, it's just become the commercial version of - excuse the term here - Jewish Christmas, as she said. Not that she minds of course, but it's original traditions got a bit melded with the Christian holiday season. I am glad though that today we've managed to revive the Festival of Lights.
Thanks for sharing this, @Anna Elizabeth Henry! Yeah, it's an interesting holiday and has morphed into something a bit other. As I shared in the OP, there's always been tension around it because of the religious-political issues, but if anything, I would have hoped it could just be a celebration of freedom, of awesomeness triumphing over non-awesomeness, and fried food. There are winners all around! It amazes me that people actually get offended over how such a minor holiday is celebrated.

Thanks for sharing this, @Anna Elizabeth Henry! Yeah, it's an interesting holiday and has morphed into something a bit other. As I shared in the OP, there's always been tension around it because of the religious-political issues, but if anything, I would have hoped it could just be a celebration of freedom, of awesomeness triumphing over non-awesomeness, and fried food. There are winners all around! It amazes me that people actually get offended over how such a minor holiday is celebrated.

You're welcome @amweiner! I agree things have morphed from their original state into something unique for sure - even Christmas has evolved form a solemn holiday to insane merry-making in Medieval times to the global consumerism of today. During that time it seems Hanukkah has experienced similar ebbs and flows. I'm with you - it should be a celebration of freedom and fried food! Oh, and don't forget the chocolate coins! :wink:

To that end mostly inappropriately for this thread I bring you a doughnut recipe care of Martha Stewart - https://www.marthastewart.com/314744/hanukkah-sufganiyot-jelly-doughnuts

isaacjl.jpg
zeke.jpg
Adams Run
April 24th, 1864

Dear Leonora

Love to all
Isaac J. Levy

Thank you so much for posting this. As a Jewish member of this forum, I believe this is the first letter I've seen from a Jewish soldier from the war. Thanks again,

James

Thank you so much for posting this. As a Jewish member of this forum, I believe this is the first letter I've seen from a Jewish soldier from the war. Thanks again,

James
Too many people make the mistake in believing that the Civil War was just a conflict involving Christian Americans.

This war involved men and women of different faiths and from numerous Countries as shown by the pension records I have been reviewing. Men from as far away as Australia, New Zealand, Poland, Prussia, France, England, Natal, and as close as Canada etc. fought and died for America. Jewish blood is the same colour and every other persons blood. The Great Architect of the Universe made it that way.

James

If you're interested in the Jewish perspective during the Civil War Phoebe Yates Pember was a Jewish nurse in Richmond during the war and published her memoirs. Here's a link to a thread about her over in Ladies Tea - https://civilwartalk.com/threads/phoebe-yates-pember-her-boys-in-gray.117274/#post-1190772

If you scroll through the posts, I posted a link to Amazon where you can buy her memoir.

More to celebrate

https://www.buckeyemuse.com/faithful-to-our-god-and-our-cause-ohio-soldiers-celebrate-passover-1862/

and
JOSEPH JOEL, 23RD OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY

Holidays are perhaps the most difficult time for soldiers stationed far from home and family. For 19-year-old Private Joseph Joel, serving in the hills of West Virginia during the Civil War, it was the feast of Passover that left him longing for home, friends, and familiar rituals. It had been nearly a year since Joel and his 20 Jewish comrades had enlisted in the 23rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry at Cleveland, Ohio.

After much deliberation, the men agreed that Joel should ask their commander Rutherford B. Hayes if they might be temporarily relieved of their duties to observe Passover, the annual Jewish commemoration of the deliverance of the Jews from Egypt. Hayes granted the soldier's request. A year after the close of the Civil War, Joel wrote an account of the event in the Jewish Messenger [March 3, 1866 "Passover in Camp."] .

"Our next business was to find some suitable person to proceed to Cincinnati, Ohio, to buy us Matzos. Our sutler, being a co-religionist and going home to that city readily undertook to send them. We were anxiously awaiting to receive our [matzos] and about the middle of the morning of {written in Hebrew] a supply train arrived in camp, and to our delight seven barrels of Matzos. On opening them, we were surprsed and pleased to find that our thoughtful sutler had enclosed two Hagodahs and prayer-books.

We were now able to keep the [written in Hebrew] nights, if we could only obtain the other requisites for that occasion. We held a consultation and decided to send parties to forage in the country while a party stayed to build a log hut for the service. About the middle of the afternoon the foragers arrived, having been quite successful. We obtained two kegs of cider, a lamb, several chickens, and some eggs. Horse-radish or parsley we could not obtain, but in lieu we found a weed, whose bitterness, I apprehend, exceeded anything our forefathers "enjoyed."

We were still in a great quandary; we were like the man who drew the elephant in the lottery. We had the lamb, but did not know what part was to represent it at the table; but Yankee ingenuity prevailed, and it was decided to cook the whole and put it on the table, then we could dine off it, and be sure we could have the right part. The necessaries for
the choroutzeswe could not obtain, so we got a brick which, rather hard to digest, reminded us, by looking at it, for what purpose it was intended.

At dark we had all prepared, and were ready to commence the service. There being
no Chasan present, I was selected to read the services, which I commenced by asking the blessing of the Almighty on the food before us, and to preserve our lives from danger. The ceremonies were passing off very nicely, until we arrived at the part where the bitter herb was to be taken. We all had a large portion of the herb ready to eat at the moment I said the blessing; each eat his portion, when horrors! what a scene ensued in our little congregation, it is impossible for my pen to describe. The herb was very bitter and very fiery like Cayenne pepper, and excited our thirst to such a degree, that we forgot the law authorizing us to drink only four cups, and the consequence was we drank up all the cider. Those that drank the more freely became excited, and one thought he was Moses, another, Aaron, and one had the audacity to call himself a Pharaoh.

The consequence was a skirmish, with nobody hurt, only Moses, Aaron and Pharaoh, had to be carried to the camp, and there left in the arms of Morpheus. This slight incident did not take away our appetite, and, after doing justice to our lamb, chickens, and eggs, we resumed the second portion of the servce without anything occurring worthy of note.

There, in the wild woods of West Virginia, away from home and friends, we consecrated and offered up to the ever-loving God of Israel our prayers and sacrifice. I doubt whether the spirits of our forefathers, had they been looking down on us, standing there with our arms by our side ready for an attack, faithful to our God and our cause, would have imagined themselves amongst mortals, enacting this commemoration of the scene that transpired in Egypt.

Since then a number of my comrades have fallen in battle in defending the flag they volunteered to protect with their lives. I have myself received a number of wounds all but mortal, but there is no occasion in my life that gives me more pleasure and satisfaction than when I remember the celebration of Passover of 1862. Joseph A. Joel"

Joel eventually married, moved to Staten Island, and became an editor and publisher. He never forgot the kindness of the commander who had granted his request to observe the celebration of Passover during the Civil War. He and Rutherford B. Hayes remained lifelong friends. In 1871, Joel wrote to Hayes, announcing the birth of his second
daughter. Using the online Diary and Letters of Rutherford B. Hayes, you can read Hayes' reply. A year later, Joel wrote again, informing Hayes that his wife had given birth to their first son, whom he had named Rutherford B. Hayes Joel. http://ww2.ohiohistory.org/onlinedoc/hayes/Volume03/Chapter29/COLUMBUSMay291871 b.txt

The hand-tinted albumen print of Joel in his Civil War uniform was a gift from Joel to President Hayes. The picture is part of the Rutherford B. Hayes Photograph Collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back