Hand Knit Civil War Sock Ornament

LoriAnn

Retired User
CWSockOrn3.jpg

For those sock knitters out there who would like to surprise your fellow Civil War enthusiasts/reenactors with a gift from the heart, I've adjusted the 1865 US Sanitary Commission Sock pattern, generously provided to us by Karin Timour, so that one can make a cute little ornament for the tree. (Or to fit a rolled up $20 in...who wouldn't like that?)

I highly recommend knowing how to knit a basic top down sock with a heel flap first. I'm only going to offer my notes ~ not a formal pattern.

If you would like to see the original pattern, click here.

Here are my notes:

Fingering weight yarn
8 stitches per inch/12 rows per inch, roughly. It's only an ornament, so really...the pressure is off here. :smile:

* CO 20 stitches
* 4 row 2x2 rib
* Leg = about 16 rows
* Heel flap = 8 rows
* When I turn the heel, I start by leaving 3 stitches in the middle as my heel width.
* I think I only pick up about 5 or 6 gusset stitches on each side. If you pick up too many, the foot will be out of proportion to the rest of the sock.

* Foot length after decreasing gusset stitches = 4 rows

* Toe Decreases as follows:

1) *K3, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end.
2) Knit two rows plain
3) *K2, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end.
4) Knit one row plain
5) *K1, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end
6) Cut yarn and pull through remaining 8 stitches to close the toe.

I wouldn't recommend decreasing down to less than 8 stitches at the toe. It looks weird. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

I use a darning needle and extra yarn to close up any gaps left near the gusset.

Run another strand of yarn through a spot in the ribbing and tie into a bow. You're done! Don't even have to block it unless you want to.

So far I have made the Christmas red and white one, and a couple of blue ones. Some of the Rebs in your life might like a gray pair. :smile:

CWSock2.jpg

Ha! Love this! Honest, have seen these with tiny candy canes in them, and given as gifts- but as Civil War ornaments they're terrific! I mean how in blazes do you decorate a tree with a ' Civil War ' theme, and have it be pretty, too?

Wish we had an " @ Reeanactors ". Hang on- we do have a few. @MaryDee , @Mrs. V , are these dear? The reenactor consuming socks the most would have a tree and children- @ami ! Are these cute or what?

View attachment 170680

For those sock knitters out there who would like to surprise your fellow Civil War enthusiasts/reenactors with a gift from the heart, I've adjusted the 1865 US Sanitary Commission Sock pattern, generously provided to us by Karin Timour, so that one can make a cute little ornament for the tree. (Or to fit a rolled up $20 in...who wouldn't like that?)
OMG!!!! These are sooooooo CUTE! You could market these and sell them for sure. What a neat little gift to send to CW enthusiasts far away! I would buy several for sure.

Great ornament

OMG!!!! These are sooooooo CUTE! You could market these and sell them for sure. What a neat little gift to send to CW enthusiasts far away! I would buy several for sure.
Thank you so much!

I gave you a like for the photos. I couldn't begin to understand the text!
Ha. Thank you. Yeah. It's Knit-Speak.
Somehow I think the elves will make short work of these once Santa pops a few into his sack to bring back to the North Pole :wink: Expect to find a few missing on Christmas morning! Presents in exchange will do nicely Santa Claus :D
Santa knows my price is chocolate. :tongue:

They are cute! I have no idea if they are "period." I do know that a lot of knitting was going on during the CW to keep the soldiers in real socks! I don't knit, so have to find something else to keep my hands busy when sitting around in the shade with the ladies while the soldiers sweat on the battlefield.

A couple of years ago, one of our members made hardtack ornaments in the shape of Maltese crosses (since our group reenacts as Co. A of the 20th Maine at Northwest Civil War Council events.)

I'm off traveling tomorrow, so will take this occasion to wish everyone a very happy Christmas--or holiday of your choice--and a very merry New Year!

View attachment 170680

I highly recommend knowing how to knit a basic top down sock with a heel flap first. I'm only going to offer my notes ~ not a formal pattern.

If you would like to see the original pattern, click here.

Here are my notes:

Fingering weight yarn
8 stitches per inch/12 rows per inch, roughly. It's only an ornament, so really...the pressure is off here. :smile:

* CO 20 stitches
* 4 row 2x2 rib
* Leg = about 16 rows
* Heel flap = 8 rows
* When I turn the heel, I start by leaving 3 stitches in the middle as my heel width.
* I think I only pick up about 5 or 6 gusset stitches on each side. If you pick up too many, the foot will be out of proportion to the rest of the sock.

* Foot length after decreasing gusset stitches = 4 rows

* Toe Decreases as follows:

1) *K3, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end.
2) Knit two rows plain
3) *K2, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end.
4) Knit one row plain
5) *K1, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end
6) Cut yarn and pull through remaining 8 stitches to close the toe.

I wouldn't recommend decreasing down to less than 8 stitches at the toe. It looks weird. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

I use a darning needle and extra yarn to close up any gaps left near the gusset.

Run another strand of yarn through a spot in the ribbing and tie into a bow. You're done! Don't even have to block it unless you want to.

So far I have made the Christmas red and white one, and a couple of blue ones. Some of the Rebs in your life might like a gray pair. :smile:

View attachment 170681
That is really cool! They certainly put our 'bought' Christmas stockings to shame! Thanks for sharing!

They are darling! I have a tiny stocking that was bought yonks ago for my gerbil..yes, every animal in my house had a stocking...my current cat does, and the guinea pig at school has one! I have a hand crochet reindeer “head” that goes on a candy cane that my husbands aunt made. It now resides on one of the blown glass canes we have for the tree...

Back