Hand Knit Civil War Sock Ornament

LoriAnn

Retired User
CWSockOrn3.jpg

For those sock knitters out there who would like to surprise your fellow Civil War enthusiasts/reenactors with a gift from the heart, I've adjusted the 1865 US Sanitary Commission Sock pattern, generously provided to us by Karin Timour, so that one can make a cute little ornament for the tree. (Or to fit a rolled up $20 in...who wouldn't like that?)

I highly recommend knowing how to knit a basic top down sock with a heel flap first. I'm only going to offer my notes ~ not a formal pattern.

If you would like to see the original pattern, click here.

Here are my notes:

Fingering weight yarn
8 stitches per inch/12 rows per inch, roughly. It's only an ornament, so really...the pressure is off here. :smile:

* CO 20 stitches
* 4 row 2x2 rib
* Leg = about 16 rows
* Heel flap = 8 rows
* When I turn the heel, I start by leaving 3 stitches in the middle as my heel width.
* I think I only pick up about 5 or 6 gusset stitches on each side. If you pick up too many, the foot will be out of proportion to the rest of the sock.

* Foot length after decreasing gusset stitches = 4 rows

* Toe Decreases as follows:

1) *K3, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end.
2) Knit two rows plain
3) *K2, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end.
4) Knit one row plain
5) *K1, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end
6) Cut yarn and pull through remaining 8 stitches to close the toe.

I wouldn't recommend decreasing down to less than 8 stitches at the toe. It looks weird. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

I use a darning needle and extra yarn to close up any gaps left near the gusset.

Run another strand of yarn through a spot in the ribbing and tie into a bow. You're done! Don't even have to block it unless you want to.

So far I have made the Christmas red and white one, and a couple of blue ones. Some of the Rebs in your life might like a gray pair. :smile:

CWSock2.jpg

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Ha! Love this! Honest, have seen these with tiny candy canes in them, and given as gifts- but as Civil War ornaments they're terrific! I mean how in blazes do you decorate a tree with a ' Civil War ' theme, and have it be pretty, too?

Wish we had an " @ Reeanactors ". Hang on- we do have a few. @MaryDee , @Mrs. V , are these dear? The reenactor consuming socks the most would have a tree and children- @ami ! Are these cute or what?

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
View attachment 170680

For those sock knitters out there who would like to surprise your fellow Civil War enthusiasts/reenactors with a gift from the heart, I've adjusted the 1865 US Sanitary Commission Sock pattern, generously provided to us by Karin Timour, so that one can make a cute little ornament for the tree. (Or to fit a rolled up $20 in...who wouldn't like that?)
OMG!!!! These are sooooooo CUTE! You could market these and sell them for sure. What a neat little gift to send to CW enthusiasts far away! I would buy several for sure.

LoriAnn

Retired User
OMG!!!! These are sooooooo CUTE! You could market these and sell them for sure. What a neat little gift to send to CW enthusiasts far away! I would buy several for sure.
Thank you so much!

I gave you a like for the photos. I couldn't begin to understand the text!
Ha. Thank you. Yeah. It's Knit-Speak.
Somehow I think the elves will make short work of these once Santa pops a few into his sack to bring back to the North Pole :wink: Expect to find a few missing on Christmas morning! Presents in exchange will do nicely Santa Claus :D
Santa knows my price is chocolate. :tongue:

They are cute! I have no idea if they are "period." I do know that a lot of knitting was going on during the CW to keep the soldiers in real socks! I don't knit, so have to find something else to keep my hands busy when sitting around in the shade with the ladies while the soldiers sweat on the battlefield.

A couple of years ago, one of our members made hardtack ornaments in the shape of Maltese crosses (since our group reenacts as Co. A of the 20th Maine at Northwest Civil War Council events.)

I'm off traveling tomorrow, so will take this occasion to wish everyone a very happy Christmas--or holiday of your choice--and a very merry New Year!

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
View attachment 170680

I highly recommend knowing how to knit a basic top down sock with a heel flap first. I'm only going to offer my notes ~ not a formal pattern.

If you would like to see the original pattern, click here.

Here are my notes:

Fingering weight yarn
8 stitches per inch/12 rows per inch, roughly. It's only an ornament, so really...the pressure is off here. :smile:

* CO 20 stitches
* 4 row 2x2 rib
* Leg = about 16 rows
* Heel flap = 8 rows
* When I turn the heel, I start by leaving 3 stitches in the middle as my heel width.
* I think I only pick up about 5 or 6 gusset stitches on each side. If you pick up too many, the foot will be out of proportion to the rest of the sock.

* Foot length after decreasing gusset stitches = 4 rows

* Toe Decreases as follows:

1) *K3, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end.
2) Knit two rows plain
3) *K2, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end.
4) Knit one row plain
5) *K1, Sl1/K1/PSSO*...continue to end
6) Cut yarn and pull through remaining 8 stitches to close the toe.

I wouldn't recommend decreasing down to less than 8 stitches at the toe. It looks weird. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

I use a darning needle and extra yarn to close up any gaps left near the gusset.

Run another strand of yarn through a spot in the ribbing and tie into a bow. You're done! Don't even have to block it unless you want to.

So far I have made the Christmas red and white one, and a couple of blue ones. Some of the Rebs in your life might like a gray pair. :smile:

View attachment 170681
That is really cool! They certainly put our 'bought' Christmas stockings to shame! Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. V

First Sergeant
They are darling! I have a tiny stocking that was bought yonks ago for my gerbil..yes, every animal in my house had a stocking...my current cat does, and the guinea pig at school has one! I have a hand crochet reindeer “head” that goes on a candy cane that my husbands aunt made. It now resides on one of the blown glass canes we have for the tree...

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!