1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Hancock Avenue ca. 1900 T&N

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Gettysburg Greg, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

ia2.jpg

Taken from an elevated position, this early reunion photograph shows a Union veteran sitting next to Hancock Avenue in front of the monument to Andrew's Sharpshooters. He appears to be reminicing with a tourist while his tour carriage waits in the background. Arnold's Battery monument positioned at the inner-angle is seen in the background with the Copse of Trees behind. My modern photograph is very similar though taken at ground level.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017

You need to start carrying a ladder, @Gettysburg Greg :D In your "now" picture, there IS a group of trees showing in the background, but it seems too close to be part of the copse. The change of perspective is just enough to alter appearance of distance.

4. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

Yes, @Bee, that is the Copse in the background of both photographs. See the HWM monument and the fence around the trees?

JohnW., Bee, PeterT and 2 others like this.
  5. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

Now this begs the question. Was the convergence point in 1863 really a crops of trees? @E_just_E :smile:

JohnW., Bee and PeterT like this.
  6. E_just_E

E_just_E Captain Forum Host

Not sure that there was a convergence in 1863, but, heck, I was not there :wink:

JohnW. and Bee like this.
  7. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought you said on your tour it was highly unlikely there was a convergence point? And even more unlikely it was a crops of trees?

8. E_just_E

E_just_E Captain Forum Host

Yes, yes, yes and yes :smile:
    I was just playing with the word convergence.

As you very well saw, the Copse of Trees or ever the "enemy line" was well invisible for about half of the Confederate Troops that took part in it.

Not to mention the silliness about "converging" 15000 people in a 20 foot wide space. Or. So.

JohnW. and War Horse like this.
  9. War Horse

:smile: Ok now you're talking.

10. War Horse

Good, because your tour completely convinced me that your observations were correct. It was well prepared and equally well thought out. I was amazed to see how much of the terrain was below the line of site of the ridge and as you so well pointed out. If you can't see them, they can't see you.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)