"H. Goldsticker Photographer Army of the Cumberland"

JPChurch

First Sergeant
Any info on this would be helpful to me. Was Goldsticker all by himself or did he employ others to assist him? Did he have a studio somewhere? My avatar is marked this way on the back side. My brother has the original CDV at his house. Here is a large image of the CDV. Officers of Battery I First Michigan Light Artillery.
579999_3362089457132_1851032183_n.jpg

Do you perchance have an image of the obverse, with the photographer's name & logo?

Found an 1867 newspaper article that references Goldsticker as "the best buffo singer ever heard on an American stage" with the German Opera of Cincinnati, "yet he takes capital likenesses every day." (A "buffo singer" is a comedic role in opera, typically singing bass.) Dude's got talent.

My brother has the original CDV, I'll see if he scan can me the back side of the image. When searching for this topic title on the internet I did find a CDV of a civilian that was part of a group of pics (for sale) that did have the backside shown.

It looked like this IIRC:

H. Goldsticker
Photographer Army of the Cumberland

No logo or studio location. Above is how it was marked with nothing else. Similar to what I remember on the back side of my CDV

Enlisted on August 22nd '62 in Hudson MI under recruiting officer Jabez J. Daniels. I have his enlistment papers and all of his muster rolls from that date until the close of the War when the Battery disbanded and returned to Detroit July 1865. A brief history of the Battery is included in "Michigan in the War" published in 1909. He served the entire duration of the War from his enlistment date. Also a few letters he wrote while the Battery was in Chattanooga Jan.1865 after returning from the Atlanta campaign. At Gettysburg, his rank was Sgt.; at the close of the War he was 2nd Lt. So I'm thinking this group shot may have been taken by this "H. Goldsticker" photographer of the Cumberland either in Chattanooga or maybe Nashville.

Last edited:
From what little I know, H. Goldsticker was a late war photographer. I know of several other of his CDVs and they were taken in 1865. I think your time line of when this image was taken is correct.

Military Images magazine might be a good place to continue your research on H. Goldsticker.

http://militaryimagesmagazine.com

Thanks so much Legion Para, I will endeavor to persevere and get back later with what I might find out about "H. Goldsticker."

It is a very interesting name. I found a Herman Goldsticker. He was an ambrotypist and photographer born in Bavaria about 1822 or 1823. He was active in Cincinnati from 1857 to 1861. In 1862 he supposedly moved to Quincy, Illinois.

This is from "Artists In Ohio, 1787-1900."

I don't know if he could be the one or a relation.

He's the man - the man with the Midas touch - oops; sorry wrong man!

Back