Gustav Hoffmann & 'Comal County in the Civil War'

Company B of the 7th Texas Mounted Rifles mustered in under Captain Gustav Hoffmann here in Comal County, Texas.

Here is his modest (and nearly washed-out) marble stone, supplemented with a granite marker.

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

A few yards away lies many ancestors i share a surname with, including one (that while serving as the Comal County Historian and New Braunfels newspaper editor) dedicated his life to researching and telling of the Civil War experiences of Hoffmann and his men.

Over the years, he translated thousands of pages of documents and personal correspondence originally penned by the Texas confederate cavalrymen in german into english, and then authored not just the official Comal County History book, but a 144 installment series titled 'Comal County in the Civil War' that ran weekly in the New Braunfels Herald.

I have put together a book that features all 144 installments of his 'Comal County in the Civil War' series because aside from it being an excellent research reference, it has a family history connection as well.

I have included a few of the article headlines, and as i re-read the series (now as a CWT member) i am sure i will occasionally post more.

(The order is off as i attached them utilizing the thumbnails, on an Iphone screen!)

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

Company B of the 7th Texas Mounted Rifles mustered in under Captain Gustav Hoffmann here in Comal County, Texas.

Here is his modest (and nearly washed-out) marble stone, supplemented with a granite marker.

View attachment 114843
View attachment 114844
View attachment 114845

A few yards away lies many ancestors i share a surname with, including one (that while serving as the Comal County Historian and New Braunfels newspaper editor) dedicated his life to researching and telling of the Civil War experiences of Hoffmann and his men.

Over the years, he translated thousands of pages of documents and personal correspondence originally penned by the Texas confederate cavalrymen in german into english, and then authored not just the official Comal County History book, but a 144 installment series titled 'Comal County in the Civil War' that ran weekly in the New Braunfels Herald.

I have put together a book that features all 144 installments of his 'Comal County in the Civil War' series because aside from it being an excellent research reference, it has a family history connection as well.

I have included a few of the article headlines, and as i re-read the series (now as a CWT member) i am sure i will occasionally post more.

(The order is off as i attached them utilizing the thumbnails, on an Iphone screen!)

View attachment 114854

View attachment 114847

View attachment 114848

View attachment 114849

View attachment 114850

View attachment 114852

View attachment 114853

Another soldier of company B :

P346301.gif

G W. Thompson

On 5/1/1861 he mustered into "B" Co. 7th TX Cavalry

born 7/22/1835 in Hart County, KY
died 7/24/1915 in Foard County, TX

Another soldier of company B :

P346301.gif

G W. Thompson

On 5/1/1861 he mustered into "B" Co. 7th TX Cavalry

born 7/22/1835 in Hart County, KY
died 7/24/1915 in Foard County, TX

I would like to respectfully point out an error-

G.W. Thompson served in the Indian Territory along with the other Collin County Volunteers in what would later fall under Wells' Texas Battalion.

Last edited:
Back