HF Guns of the South

Historical-Fiction
I've read it a couple of times; very entertaining and worth a read (or re-read). If you like Historical Fiction, I would recommend anything by Jeff Shaara. As well as completing the trilogy his father, Michael started with "The Killer Angels", Jeff has penned a 4-volume series on WWII and one taking place in the Korean War. I would recommend any (or all) of these.
I found Sharra’s effort on the Korean War very entertaining and enlightening. It prompted me to study more seriously about that conflict. I think good historical fiction serves a purpose when it engages those who would otherwise not be engaged. Its a start.

The book in question by Turtledove is more fantasy than historical fiction. Fun for those of us who are buffs.

I found Sharra’s effort on the Korean War very entertaining and enlightening. It prompted me to study more seriously about that conflict. I think good historical fiction serves a purpose when it engages those who would otherwise not be engaged. Its a start.

The book in question by Turtledove is more fantasy than historical fiction. Fun for those of us who are buffs.

Back in the 60s, there was a fellow in my National Guard company in Missouri that was an ex-Marine (if there is such a thing). He fought in Korea and was at Chosin Reservoir. He didn't talk much about it unless he got a few under his belt. I remember him saying that many a night they would be posted on a ridge there, the weather below zero, and waves of Chinese attacking them in the night; he made the statement that if you had hit one with every bullet you fired, there simply wasn't enough bullets to kill them all. Shaara got it right in his book.

Back