Impressions Guess I Better Learn How To Sew...

thomas aagaard

Captain
the title say it all...

I decided to replace all my Pakistani made "mainstream" gear with something better.
and just got this from Wambaugh, white & co...
IMG_0187(1).JPG

Issue drawers, issue shirt, civilian shirt, sack coat, trousers, shelter half and a canteen kit...

so Now I know what to use my spare time on over the winter...

It is kits, so everything is already cut out. Thread and wax is included.
(the smaller parts are just held inside the biggest pieces to help keep each kits complete)

You're a braver man than I, I don't think I have the patience. Look forward to seeing the finished work.
Time will tell if I do... :smile:

I do have a backup plan.
A friend of mine is use to sewing (way more complex) things... both by hand and machine and she made a number of medieval period items for me over the years.

So If I end up not getting the things made, then I will simply pay her to make them on machine. (save buttonholes and similar)

Wambaugh, White & Co. are great. I asked them to make me a civilian 1830s-era roundabout jacket, using the patterns for some of their CSA commutation-era items, and they were amenable to make the changes I requested for a civilian collar and so on. I was able to get actual naturally-dyed fabric (for a price!) too, but just awesome to work with.

I have fellow "living historians" who are mighty good at tailoring and sewing and even do leather work and such... But I'm not handy that way at all. Replacing buttons is something I can do, but it is far slower than most people who are more adept at the use of needle and thread... Takes me a good long while to even get the needle threaded!

I only got limited experience sewing clothing. But I have done some leatherwork over the years.
But this is a great way to learn, with the part already cut out.

It also give a better appreciation of the work done to supply a soldier in the field.

And the fact that the uniforms was made the this way historically is also a nice detail.

Local women near the arsenals would buy kits like this. (parts precut by the arsenal and all needed materials)
Then handsew it and sell it back to the arsenal at profit.

And using machines was expressly forbidden for the sewing of clothing. Even if the main goal was getting things made for the troops it was also a social program that gave work to women... many who's men had gone to war. (and it stopped war profiteering on this)

As someone who can barely resew on a button, I am in awe! Please do keep posting pictures of the progress - maybe a Youtube video series for folks who want to upgrade their impression is in order?

the title say it all...

I decided to replace all my Pakistani made "mainstream" gear with something better.
View attachment 416750

Issue drawers, issue shirt, civilian shirt, sack coat, trousers, shelter half and a canteen kit...

That blue isn't grey enough. 😳 🤣

the title say it all...

View attachment 416750

If you need help, I am but a pm away!

In my experience the issue drawers are pretty easy to put together. The only issue is that felling the seams can be a drag some times. But all things considered that’s pretty neat. I was planning on doing something similar.
You need to iron the seams..it helps a ton! (Just felled a new chemise)

Back