GSB on hat

thomasgrn

Cadet
does anyone know what that stands for? I have had this picture all my life in a box my Grandmother left me. Im pretty sure it is my GG GrandFather. But the GSB on the hat i cannot find an answer for. I searched all over the internet for it
John Wood JPG.jpg

Last edited:
My guess would be a local milita unit maybe? I know in Rhode Island there were many (and still are) post war that had their own uniforms, buttons, and cover insignia's. It could also be a fraternal organization that I have not heard of before, where did he live after the war?

does anyone know what that stands for? I have had this picture all my life in a box my Grandmother left me. Im pretty sure it is my GG GrandFather. But the GSB on the hat i cannot find an answer for. I searched all over the internet for itView attachment 336181
Welcome! I must confess, I am not familiar with that one, but I hope someone who does know sees this and can help you out!

It would most likely help if you gave us your G G grandfather's name and what state he was from.

OK, I found it.

One thing we can do is try to date the image. So my first though is that this is probably a post Civil War image, but how post Civil War? My next question is can we come up with a branch? So does anyone see anything that makes them believe this is infantry? Let us look closer at the collar trim. I do not see the collar trim as red so I think that cold lower the possibility of him being artillery. But then again the color of his should knots (if they are shoulder knots) could be red.

I am putting this out there for our uniform experts. He could well be wearing the 1884-pattern infantry uniform coat or perhaps a militia version of the 1884-pattern enlisted coat. Next question is that aigullettes (the cord over his shoulder) that he is wearing? Next question is, does his forage cap have a color band around the bottom? Is this a model 1871-pattern forage cap, perhaps with a 1883-pattern officer chinstrap? Does the forage cap have a 1885-pattern enlisted wreath badge on it with "GBS" in the wreath?

If we can answer the above questions, we could well be on our way to deciding the general year of this image, and if this is a militia uniform. At this point I am leaning towards militia in the mid to late 1880s, perhaps a bit later. Could "GBS" mean G? Student Battalion, G? Service Brigade or Battalion?

It would most likely help if you gave us your G G grandfather's name and what state he was from.

OK, I found it.

His name was John Wood and he lived in Middlesex New Jersey (the same place i am living in...we never move LOL)

Back