Grits: How to Prepare Them Properly - Deep South Style

I found this article yesterday which rated various brands of grits.

The #1 pick was Palmetto Farms, surprisingly affordable at $13 for two lbs. on Amazon. Might have to try!IMG_7679.jpeg

The current spot price for white corn is about $4.65/Bu. here in Missouri. A bushel of corn weighs 56 pounds or 896 ounces. $4.65/896 = $0.0052/Oz. You got robbed! Grind it yourself and save $0.40 cents per ounce or $12.80 per bag.

And never, ever, ever, under any circumstance, commit the mortal sin of putting sugar, honey, syrup, or any other form of sweetener in grits. The only acceptable add in is cheese or butter. If you cannot follow this, just order the hashbrowns. 😎
My mother always put sugar in her grits when I was growing up and I picked up her habit. The first time I ever ate grits in front of the woman I married, I remember she looked at me like I was crazy when I did that at a restaurant we were eating at! Since then, I have never used any sugar in my grits and to be honest, they are better without it.

Cream of Wheat was what I had in early life up until I got married.
The wife got me started on grits.
Mom would cook Cream of Wheat a couple of days a week for breakfast just to mix things up. They were pretty good but I preferred her grits.

Still have our old breakfast table in my house. Wish we could relive those days.

My granddaughter is six and last night when we went out to dinner, she tried the shrimp and grits I ordered and loved it. I have already introduced her to sweet tea and showed her how to make it which she loves and I am beginning to believe that she might take after my side of the family tree and become a Southern belle. Her maternal family is of English and Sicilian decent and she loves Italian food too.

OK--I'm prefacing my remarks by citing Sen. Margaret Chase Smith's Declaration of Conscience. In it she includes, among other American values, the right to hold unpopular opinions.

I don't much care for grits--in fact, I downright dislike them. As some of you know, I come originally from Georgia and spent part of my childhood in Alabama and Kentucky; I went to college in Virginia. I didn't like grits then and I don't now. They take too long to make, involves too much work and the taste doesn't justify the time and effort. Cleaning up afterwards is a nightmare.

That being said, I have a jar of grits in the pantry. This is so that if a blizzard cuts off the food stores, I have something to survive on (of course, I'll have to add enough cheese to kill the flavor).

In my defense--I do like kale.

Thanks @RobertP for the article and to @donna for the thread bump.
If you were not around or exposed to grits in your formative years, I'm not sure it can be an acquired taste as an adult.
Just my experience and observation.
Currently we use Logan Turnpike Mill (Blairsville,Ga) slow, stone ground grits. Took a couple of bags to the 2022 Stones River/Murfreesboro Muster for prizes. Corn from local farms, 100 year old equipment, small operation. Grits or flour is ground when your order arrives. At $8.00 a 2lb bag is less than Palmetto and sound much the same.
My suggestion for first time eaters is " keep adding salt & butter until you like the taste".

Back