Griffith’s / Barksdale’s / Humphreys’ Mississippi Brigade Photos

vbarbish

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I am trying to track down photos of everyday soldiers from the 13th, 17th, 18th, and 21st Mississippi Infantry Regiments known as Griffith’s / Barksdale’s / Humphreys’ Mississippi Brigade.

These images will be used in an upcoming book that serves as a tribute to these soldiers. Feel free to message me or leave a comment if anyone has a photo that they would like to have featured in the book or if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Vincent

I am trying to track down photos of everyday soldiers from the 13th, 17th, 18th, and 21st Mississippi Infantry Regiments known as Griffith’s / Barksdale’s / Humphreys’ Mississippi Brigade.

There should be some photos and color sketches on some threads. I will try to search for them.
I am interested in the 17th Mississippi Regiment because I have 3 ancestors who were in Company H. I'm going to Chickamauga to see where they fought.

BTW, this brings up a question about modern paintings of the Mississippi Brigade. This would help with uniform details.

Q: Is there any painting by Kunstler or Troiani that depicts Humphrey's Brigade at Chickamauga?

There should be some photos and color sketches on some threads. I will try to search for them.
I am interested in the 17th Mississippi Regiment because I have 3 ancestors who were in Company H. I'm going to Chickamauga to see where they fought.

BTW, this brings up a question about modern paintings of the Mississippi Brigade. This would help with uniform details.

Q: Is there any painting by Kunstler or Troiani that depicts Humphrey's Brigade at Chickamauga?

Thanks for you help!

I have not came across any of Humphrey's Brigade at Chickamauga by Troiani or Kunstler so far. The only Troiani from Chickamauga I have came across is the Cleburne At Chickamauga as I'm sure you have seen. The project I am working on has had some artwork made in this area.

Your ancestors Company H was "Panola Vindicators", correct?

That will sure be great to visit!

Your ancestors Company H was "Panola Vindicators", correct?
Yes. My direct ancestor and 2 of his brother-in-laws were in that regiment. One was medically discharged early in the war. My direct ancestor was wounded at Chickamauga and discharged and the 3rd was killed at Knoxville.

A good diary on this unit is "A Life for the Confederacy" by Robert Moore.
Robert Moore was in Company G. He rose up through the ranks and made Lieutanant. He died at Chickamauga. His diary is an excellent read.
I thought Robert Moore was buried at this cemetery in Marshall County, which is located behind my Daughter's house.
A relative of Robert Moore says he was actually buried in Atlanta and this headstone was placed as a memorial to him.
Moores Grave.JPG

You should contact the Old Court House Museum in Vicksburg - they have a number of images of members of the 21st Mississippi Infantry. The director's name is Bubba Bolm, and he can be reached at: (601) 636-0741.

Colonel W. D. Holder's (17 MS) post-war photograph appears in his obituary in Confederate Veteran magazine, vol. 4 (1896), p. 210.

Likewise C. C. Cumming (17 MS) in his obituary, Confederate Veteran magazine, vol. 6 (1898), p. 432.

A war-time image of Private Josiah Archibald Lee, (I/17 MS) appears in an article by Bruce Reith in Military Images, Jan-Feb 2000, p. 19.

A war-time image of Private Billy Blake (C/18 MS) appears in Portraits of Conflict, A Photographic History of Mississippi in the Civil War, by Bobby Roberts and Carl Moneyhon, The University of Arkansas Press, 1993, p. 73.

A photograph of Samuel Sample Carter (K/18 MS) in civilian attire appears in the University of Mississippi Libraries Digital Collections.

A war-time image plus post-war photograph of Captain Lane William Brandon (D/21 MS) appears in his Find A Grave Memorial.

Colonel W. D. Holder's (17 MS) post-war photograph appears in his obituary in Confederate Veteran magazine, vol. 4 (1896), p. 210.

Likewise C. C. Cumming (17 MS) in his obituary, Confederate Veteran magazine, vol. 6 (1898), p. 432.

A war-time image of Private Josiah Archibald Lee, (I/17 MS) appears in an article by Bruce Reith in Military Images, Jan-Feb 2000, p. 19.

A war-time image of Private Billy Blake (C/18 MS) appears in Portraits of Conflict, A Photographic History of Mississippi in the Civil War, by Bobby Roberts and Carl Moneyhon, The University of Arkansas Press, 1993, p. 73.

A photograph of Samuel Sample Carter (K/18 MS) in civilian attire appears in the University of Mississippi Libraries Digital Collections.

A war-time image plus post-war photograph of Captain Lane William Brandon (D/21 MS) appears in his Find A Grave Memorial.

Dear Tom,

Thank you so much! This helps a great deal!

Best,

Vincent

You should contact the Old Court House Museum in Vicksburg - they have a number of images of members of the 21st Mississippi Infantry. The director's name is Bubba Bolm, and he can be reached at: (601) 636-0741.

Thanks, I will give him a call. I found a great 21st picture there a couple months ago.
Old Court House 21st.jpg

Yes. My direct ancestor and 2 of his brother-in-laws were in that regiment. One was medically discharged early in the war. My direct ancestor was wounded at Chickamauga and discharged and the 3rd was killed at Knoxville.

A good diary on this unit is "A Life for the Confederacy" by Robert Moore.
Robert Moore was in Company G. He rose up through the ranks and made Lieutanant. He died at Chickamauga. His diary is an excellent read.
I thought Robert Moore was buried at this cemetery in Marshall County, which is located behind my Daughter's house.
A relative of Robert Moore says he was actually buried in Atlanta and this headstone was placed as a memorial to him.
View attachment 325823

Thanks, that is a great diary by Moore. I can assure that a pic of him is already in the text!

Do you happen to have any portraits of your ancestors?

Do you happen to have any portraits of your ancestors?

No. I've only recently found the service records for my direct ancestor, Stephen Musselwhite. I don't have any real contacts with that family to know if there is a photo, but I seem to recall there may be a post war photo of him with a crutch.

Back