Grierson's Raid

Championhilz

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I found this article recently, and I thought it expresses very well the effect that Grierson's 1863 raid through Mississippi had on the local population:

"Grierson’s raid into Mississippi has taught the people along the line of his devastating march what they have to expect if they allow the state to be overrun. The highest accomplishment which graces the Yankee is his skill in stealing. In the raid of Grierson – horses, mules, wagons, and negroes were carried off. Every house they passed was entered, the trunks broken open, and all the money, watches, silver ware, and other valuables were carried off. The guns of our people were destroyed. The men were twitted with cowardice, while the ladies were constantly insulted. Nothing has ever equaled this raid in insolence and boldness. It is a mistake to say the Yankees rushed through the state with fear and trembling. They went through it as masters of the people – ordered the women to cook for them and if they refused turned loose their pack of greedy petty thieves into the several smoke houses. They pursued their way with quiet ease and patience, stopping wherever they pleased to feed their horses from the cribs, and their soldiers from the larders of Mississippi planters.

It makes our blood boil with intense indignation to listen to the stories of men who have been despoiled by this daring band of licensed robbers. To hear of the insults heaped upon our women – of their boastful threats and wanton destruction of property. Why Mississippi was made to suffer this deep humiliation – this damning disgrace – is a matter of inexplicable astonishment to us. But so it is. Fifteen hundred Yankees leisurely traversed the hitherto proud State of Mississippi, insulting and destroying as they went without having a gun fired at them! We deserve to bow our heads in lasting shame if we do not wipe out this stinging blot upon our fair escutcheon.

The Yankees threaten to come again, and they will come again if the people do not speedily place themselves in a condition for _____. If they do come and are not met with hospitable bands to bloody graves, it will be attributable to our own dastardly inaction. We have the power to prevent these raids. Gov. Pettus has pointed out the way. Let his suggestions be promptly followed, and we shall never suffer another humiliation of this kind."

- The Daily Mississippian, May 7, 1863

I think Grant would have approved of this press coverage. I don't know if Grierson's men had time to do everything in the article, but that's another issue. When Grant crossed over the river and headed toward Jackson later, the people of Mississippi remembered fondly the visit by Grierson.

Last edited:
General Pemberton's view of Grierson's Raid. Official Records, Series 1 Volume XXIV, Part 1 , Pages 253 and 255.

"One of these marauding expeditions, under Colonel [Brigadier-General] Grierson, which crossed the Tallahatchee River at New Albany, succeeded in passing directly through the State, and eventually joined General Banks' forces at Baton Rouge, La. So great was the consternation created by this raid that it was impossible to obtain any reliable information of the enemy's movements, rumor placing him in various places at the same time. ....

I have been thus circumstantial in reciting the incidents connected with this celebrated raid that I might clearly demonstrate the great deficiency-I may almost say absence-of cavalry in my department, and the absolute impossibility of protecting my communications, depots, and even my most vital positions, without it; and, further, to show that consequent upon this want of cavalry I was compelled to employ infantry, and thus weaken my force in that arm at other important points."

I may almost say absence-of cavalry in my department, and the absolute impossibility of protecting my communications, depots, and even my most vital positions, without it; and, further, to show that consequent upon this want of cavalry I was compelled to employ infantry, and thus weaken my force in that arm at other important points."

Later that summer of 1863, new recruits formed a Cavalry division under General James R. Chalmers which was placed in Northern Mississippi to prevent further raids. The Union forces would find it risky to venture out from Memphis, LaGrange and Corinth.
Grierson would accompany General Sooy Smith on an expedition in February 1864 but without a specific command assignment. They were defeated at the Battle of Okolona.

Grierson's raid was launched from LaGrange, TN, which is 3 miles from my hometown of Grand Junction. The yankee army was there because of the railroad intersection at Grand Junction and their camps were spread out for miles, even down into Mississippi.

LaGrange has a website which features the several plantation houses still standing. They weren't burned because Grant and company were using them for their headquarters.

There is a communication in the O. R. from B. G. Daniel Ruggles to Bragg: "There are 90,000 Yankees at Grand Junction."

The following article from HISTORYnet give a good synopsis of the raid. Link to complete article follows:
http://www.historynet.com/griersons-raid-during-the-vicksburg-campaign.htm

Another diversion, one that would prove wildly successful, was a cavalry raid launched into Mississippi from La Grange, Tenn., on April 17. It was the beginning of 16 days of nearly non-stop movement, widespread destruction and frequent battle. When it was over, Grant would accurately describe it as one of the most brilliant cavalry exploits of the war.'
Grant had first considered such a raid as early as February 1863, suggesting a volunteer force of 500 be used. As his strategy evolved, the importance of the raid increased. By mid, March, the strength of the raiders had been dramatically enlarged and the volunteer stipulation had vanished.
The man assigned to lead the raid was 36-year-old Colonel Benjamin H. Grierson, a prewar music teacher from the Midwest who, in less violent times, had traveled to various small towns organizing amateur bands. Later he went into the produce business and, in 1860, wrote campaign songs for Abraham Lincoln. When the war began, Grierson enlisted as a private in the infantry. He very much wanted to do his share of the fighting on foot; while a child, he had been kicked in the face by a horse and still harbored a severe dislike for the equine creatures.

Grierson's raid was launched from LaGrange, TN, which is 3 miles from my hometown of Grand Junction.

In fact Grierson's Raid was intended to end at Grand Junction but was forced to continue when the Grant's forces failed to gain a foothold there.

Back