1862: Participated in the Battle of Antietam, Wounded in the thigh​
1862: Participated in Battle of Fredericksburg, Mortally Wounded in the Spine​

Died: December 15, 1862

Place of Death: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Cause of Death: Wounds to his spine

Age at time of Death: 48 years old

Burial Place: Elmwood Memorial Gardens, Columbia, South Carolina

Last edited by a moderator:
After his wounding, Gregg was taken to the home of Thomas Yerby. As he lay on his death bed, Gregg wished to see Stonewall Jackson to apologize for some past criticisms he made of Jackson. In his book The Fredericksburg Campaign, Francis O'Reilly describes this last meeting between Jackson and Gregg --

"Maxcy Gregg tried to stammer an apology, but Jackson assured the dying man that he had not been offended. "The doctors tell me that you have not long to live," Jackson said kindly as took his subordinate's hand. "Let me ask you to dismiss this matter from your mind and turn your thoughts to God and to the world to which you must go." Gregg's eyes welled with tears. "I thank you" he choked, "I thank you very much." The general passed away quietly before daybreak. A house guest recalled, "He looked very handsome as he lay in his last sleep." Stonewall Jackson rode silently back to camp with Dr. McGuire. The medical director broke the silence by asking his chief how they were going to cope with the expected Union attack that morning. Jackson, still deeply affected, snapped, "Kill them, sir! kill every man!"

Maxcy Gregg:

:CSA1stNat:
Born: August 1, 1814
Birthplace: Columbia South CarolinaView attachment 367949
Father: Colonel James Gregg 1787 – 1852
(Buried: Elmwood Memorial Gardens Columbia South Carolina)
Mother: Cornelia Manning Maxcy 1792 – 1862
(Buried: Elmwood Memorial Gardens Columbia South Carolina)
Wife: None

Education:
Graduated from South Carolina College – (1st​ in class)

Occupation before War:
Attorney in Columbia South Carolina
Served in the Mexican War rising to Major
Owner of his own private observatory
Strong Advocate for States Rights and Secession
1860: Delegate to South Carolina Secession Convention

Civil War Career:
1861: Colonel of First South Carolina Infantry Regiment
Served on duty on Sullivan's Island & Morris Island
1861: Participated in First Battle of Bull Run
1861 – 1862: Brigadier General in Confederate Army
1862: Participated in the Capture of Harpers Ferry Virginia
1862: Participated in the Battle of Antietam Wounded in thighView attachment 367950
1862: Participated in Battle of Fredericksburg Mortally Wounded Spine

Died:
December 15, 1862
Place of Death: Fredericksburg Virginia
Cause of Death: Wounds to his spine
Age at time of Death: 48 years old
Burial Place: Elmwood Memorial Gardens Columbia South Carolina

View attachment 367951
That second picture looks a lot like General John Gregg of Texas

When Columbia SC was captured by Sherman's forces and subsequently burned Maxcy Gregg's home was ransacked by Federal troops. Among the items taken were his cane, sash, epaulettes and the pants he was wearing when fatally wounded at Fredericksburg. Damage to the home was minimal and it's still standing in Columbia.

I best remember Gregg for the following quote from Shelby Foote's Civil War on Second Manassas: "On a rocky knoll, here on the far-east margin of the conflict, Rebs and Yanks fought hand to hand. Bayonets crossed; rifle butts cracked skulls. A bachelor lawyer, somewhat deaf, Gregg strode up and down, brandishing an old Revolutionary scimitar and calling for a rally. "Let us die here, my men. Let us die here,“ he said. Many did die, something over 600 in all, but the knoll was held.“

Regarding the untimely death of Maxcy Gregg, Robert E. Lee wrote to Governor Pickens as follows:

CAMP NEAR FREDERICKSBURG, December 18, 1862.
His Excellency FRANCIS W. PICKENS,

Governor of South Carolina:

SIR: While South Carolina is mourning the loss of the gallant and distinguished son, General Maxcy Gregg, permit me to join in your sorrow for his death. From my first acquaintance, when you sent, him with his gallant regiment to the defense of our frontier in Virginia, I have admired his disinterested patriotism and his unselfish devotion. He has always been at the post of duty and of danger, and his services in this army have been of inestimable value, and his loss is deeply lamented. In its greatest triumphs and its bloodiest battles he has borne a distinguished part. On the Chickahominy, on the plains of Manassas, at Harper's Ferry, Sharpsburg, and Shepherdstown he led his brigade with distinguished skill and dauntless valor. On the wooded heights of Fredericksburg he fell, in front of his brigade, in close conflict with the advancing foe. The death of such a man is a costly sacrifice, for it is to men of his high integrity and commanding intellect that the country must look to give character to her councils, [emphasis mine] that she may be respected and honored by all nations. Among those of his State who will proudly read the history of his deeds, may many be found to imitate his noble example.

I have the honor to be, with great respect, your obedient servant,
R. E. LEE,
General.

JOURNAL ARTICLE
Maxcy Gregg and His Brigade of South Carolinians at the Battle of Fredericksburg
Clay Ouzts
The South Carolina Historical Magazine
Vol. 95, No. 1 (Jan., 1994), pp. 6-26 (21 pages)
Published By: South Carolina Historical Society

1.jpg

Full article on JSTOR with Google sign-in (if you have a Gmail account, you have a Google sign-in and this will allow for free reading of 100 articles a month).

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Back