Greetings from Warrenton VA

Your knowledge of military history and lineage is seriously lacking. The above statement about the 9th New York (Hawkins Zouaves) is factually incorrect.

Oh my goodness! I claim absolutely NO knowledge of military history and lineage. The material I posted that contained this apparent error came from my client's website, as I said at the beginning of the post, not from me. If I can find a way to mention diplomatically to my client that their website needs correction, I'm happy to do that. Thanks very much for paying such close attention. As you may have picked up about me from a few of my earlier posts, I do try very hard to be accurate when doing design work for clients in any field -- especially if the subject is Civil War activity right here in the area I call home.

H
Unfortunately, I have NO idea about Troiani; I own four of his prints and that's the closest I've ever been to him! He attended at least one of the 125th anniversary reenactments I also attended but I never met him. The photo isn't of me! I did, however, work extensively on Glory (as seen in my avatar) and have written a thread about it here in the forums. I worked on it and another couple of films with another friend who actually served as a model for some of Troiani's prints, but unfortunately I no longer know how to contact him either!

How interesting! That must have been fun. Re-enactors around here have appeared in lots of films shot in the countryside around here. It's always interesting to hear about their experiences. I'll look for your forum post. Great avatar, by the way. :smile:

Welcome from Oklahoma... while not the unit you're looking for, here is a pic of a Cincinnati Zouave Guards uniform from the Top of the Rock CW museum in Branson, MO...

Those uniforms are dashing beyond belief. Thanks for posting those photos. I especially enjoyed reading the display's printed description. "Seeing the elephant" -- never heard that expression before.

Hello from Michigan. The issue with Zouaves is that there were so many Zouave units that uniform accuracy is dependent on the particular unit. Probably one of the true experts on American Zouave uniforms is Michael J. McAfee. Not sure how Mr. McAfee is doing as he is get up in years and have not heard of him in a while.

There is a bunch of information about the uniforms of the Hawkin's Zoauves. I did a quick check of my data base and I have 14 books with color illustrations of Hawkin's Zoauves and numerous books and magazine articles about them in my personal library.

Last edited:
Hello from Michigan. The issue with Zouaves is that there were so many Zouave units that uniform accuracy is dependent on the particular unit. Probably one of the true experts on American Zouave uniforms is Michael J. McAfee. Not sure how Mr. McAfee is doing as he is get up in years and have not heard of him in a while.

There is a bunch of information about the uniforms of the Hawkin's Zoauves. I did a quick check of my data base and I have 14 books with color illustrations of Hawkin's Zoauves and numerous books and magazine articles about them in my personal library.

That's remarkable! I was really naïve when I posted my little question: I had no idea there was so much out there about Hawkins' Zouaves. And you know, before I inherited this client and took on their project, I didn't even know that Zouaves had fought around here, let alone that they were represented so widely. I'm surprised there isn't more about them in circulation locally here. Nothing in our library, which is otherwise a great one. Can you recommend a book in your collection that might still be in print? I don't have much money, so I'd need to limit my purchase to one that's going to be the most informative -- and, for me, the most useful in terms of old photos, artwork, etc.

Thank you very much.

We must be neighbors, more or less. :smile:

Michael, did I reply to you before? I forget. I'm starting to pollute this thread with too many posts, but you all have been so welcoming and helpful that it's hard to hold back.

I'm all excited now about Hawkins' Zouaves and the whole local Zouave history. If you're in "Mosby's Confederacy," you must be somewhere in or near Fauquier County, yes? Do you think we could actually meet and talk about this subject? It's so interesting and I take it from your screen name that this is an area of special interest to you.

You're welcome to look up my business online: http://www.warrentongraphics.com .

Attachments

• IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 162
Hi, y'all. Name's Mara. I'm a graphic designer with a lot of clients in the Civil War field -- museums, nonprofit organizations, other clients who sometimes use Civil War themes in their marketing. As you probably know, we're smack-dab in the middle of Mosby country here, close to many Civil War battlefields and other sites and collections of interest to Civil War historians.

Right now, I'm working on something that references Hawkens Run in Rappahannock County, VA. The stream is believed to have been named for Colonel Rush C. Hawkins, who commanded the 9th New York Volunteers – "Hawkins' Zouaves" – which were active around Amissville during the Civil War. I'm in search of Civil War-era photos that might show a Zouave in the field. The US Treasury and Smithsonian have disappointed me so far.

Is it appropriate to ask any members here with an interest in Zouaves to help me out, if not with historical photos, maybe re-enactors in proper uniform? I want to be accurate and the use will be respectful. Give me a holler if you can help. Thanks a lot! I look forward to having some free time this weekend to look over some of your posts. You seem a nice group.
Welcome from the soft, russet hillsides of the Great Smoky Mountains.

If you want a reference book which is heavy in photographs of actual uniforms, then I agree with Package4's recommendation.

511W5ZAXF2L._AC_UL320_SR246,320_.jpg

Back