Greenwood, Mississippi

I only took one other picture at Greenwood Cemetery. I don't remember what particularly caught my attention about this soldier.

IMG_20191027_172326406.jpg

Boy! Your memory banks were overloaded that weekend.

11th Mississippi included a company of the University Greys. They were wiped out at Gettysburg RR cut and Pickets Charge.
That's it. Somebody in our group had a "University Greys" t-shirt on at Vicksburg. Was that you or @Ole Miss maybe?

The time stamp on my last picture at Greenwood Cemetery is 5:28pm. That surprises me. It means we did and saw an awful lot in 1.5 hours that Sunday afternoon. However,it was cloudy all day and gray clouds at that, and darkness was sneaking up on us quicker than otherwise. The next order of business was dinner and I was hungry. Lunch that day on the road after Vicksburg was a banana and a meal bar. DixieRifles had just the place picked out for us. I shamefully failed to fulfill my duty as a Traveler's Companion poster by not taking a picture inside or outside the restaurant or even a picture of the sign outside the restaurant... The Crystal Grill. It has been there awhile.

I livestreamed it in the Live thread. Great food,courteous staff and the place is larger inside than it looks on the outside. A meal even comes with dessert. I haven't seen that in a restaurant in a long time. DixieRifles graciuosly picked up the tab. CWTer @Ole Miss posted a recommendation after we had already eaten there and he was/is certainly right. I'd eat there again for sure. The restaurant recommendation made by @alan polk earlier in this thread is on the list for the next trip to Greenwood.

Not surprisingly for a town in the heart of the Mississippi Delta,Greenwood is a stop on the Mississippi Blues Trail. The Historical Marker in the picture posted below was right in front of DixieRifles' car. We parked across the street from The Crystal Grill. I'm sure I saw at least one other historical marker like that in Greenwood and I am guessing there are others. I am not very knowledgeable about the history of Blues music but hopefully my next visit to Greenwood will be a little longer and I can check out other stuff there. Lotta old buildings in Greenwood too and it'd be nice just to go for a long walk in certain parts of the town.

2019-10-27 17.38.40.jpg

We called it a day after dinner at The Crystal Grill. Both DixieRifles and myself stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Greenwood. I think I made my reservation the Sunday before our tour and prepaid for my room. It was $96.01 pepaid for a King-bed room for that Sunday night stay in Greenwood and it was a really good deal. It was clean and quiet and the hotel staff was really courteous and I slept like a rock that night. I would definitely stay there again. It was practically across the street from the Museum Of The Mississippi Delta which was a plus too.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpre...teldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-EX-_-US-_-GWOMS

That's it. Somebody in our group had a "University Greys" t-shirt on at Vicksburg. Was that you or @Ole Miss maybe?
I thought @Ole Miss might know who this soldier was. Now I was curious if how he survived the 11th Mississippi. Did he get an early discharge due to injury or enlisted late in the war?
Here is what I found but I can't quite piece it all together.

James C. Wadlington enlisted on 29 April 1861 with Company K, the Carroll County Rifles, 11th Mississippi Regt.
Transferred to Bains Artillery on July 18, 1862.
He took a 46-day furlough from Richmond area.
---------
It appears he must have gone home and then transferred to his home state.
---------
Joined Co. L, 1st Regt. Mississippi Light Artillery
Joined Capt. S. C. Bain's Company, Vaiden Light Artillery (Vaiden is a town in Carroll County)
Sept-Oct 1862: Transferred from Co. K, 11 Miss Vols on Feb 5, 1862.
Jan & Feb 1863: Present.
Roll dated April 30 to Dec 31, 1863: Absent Sick without leave since 23 Aug 1863.
Captured Vicksburg on 4 July 1863. Paroled.
Present on July & August 1864. Sent to Parole Camp Demopolis, ALa. (that does say 1864)
Roll dated Mar & April 1864: Absent, sick (maybe that year is wrong)

I find this interesting that his headstone is marked with the first unit he served with. Whereas, Lt. Stoddard's headstone is marked with the 2nd unit he served with.

@bdtex It seems that the stop in Greenwood was a great way to end the CWT Tour. You visited site of one of Grant's early attempts to reach Vicksburg and you also saw the grave of a Confederate soldier who surrendered at Vicksburg.

James C. Wadlington enlisted on 29 April 1861 with Company K, the Carroll County Rifles, 11th Mississippi Regt.
Transferred to Bains Artillery on July 18, 1862.
He took a 46-day furlough from Richmond area.
---------
---------
Joined Co. L, 1st Regt. Mississippi Light Artillery
Joined Capt. S. C. Bain's Company, Vaiden Light Artillery (Vaiden is a town in Carroll County)
Sept-Oct 1862: Transferred from Co. K, 11 Miss Vols on Feb 5, 1862.

Here is my quick research of this Bains Battery, aka Vaiden Light Battery.
Tablet --River Batteries.JPG

ORGANIZATION
River Batteries - Col. Edward Higgins
. . . 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery, Col. Charles A. Fuller, Lt. Col. Daniel Beltzhoover
. . . 8th Louisiana Hevy Artillery Battalion, Maj. Frederick N. Ogden
. . . 22d Louisiana (detachment), Capt. Samuel Jones
. . . 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery, Col. Andrew Jackson, Jr.
. . . ***Caruthers' Tennessee Battery, Capt. J.B. Caruthers
. . . ***Johnston's Tennessee Battery, Capt. T.N. Johnston
. . . ***Lynch's Tennessee Battery, Capt. John P. Lynch
. . . Company L, 1st Mississippi Light Artillery, Capt. Samuel C. Bains

--- *** These three companies were attached to the 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery.

Marker at Vicksburg NMP
Link: https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=115576
Location. 32° 21.094′ N, 90° 51.134′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg National Military Park, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Pemberton Circle and Confederate Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Pemberton Circle.

TEXT:
The command, at the beginning of the defense, May 18, 1863, was in charge of about thirty-eight heavy guns in position on the river front line, and thirteen light guns on the city front. Eleven light and six heavy guns were successively ordered to the rear line of defense with the detachments serving them, but one heavy gun was moved back to the river line. The attacks of the Union gunboats were repulsed, May 22 and May 27. The gunboat "Cincinnati" being sunk in the great bend of the river by the upper batteries on the last named day. Casualties: in opposing the passage of the Union transports, the night of April 22, killed 1, wounded 2, total 3; and during the defense, about 30 killed and wounded.

This link locates these batteries on Pemberton Circle.
Map -- River Batteries.JPG

I'm still not clear as to where the guns were that fired on the Cincinnati OR if the Vaiden Light Artillery would have been able to fire on it from this position.

{EDITED}
I found another marker just for the Vaiden Battery. It is located in the same area.
Vaiden Battery Tablet

But I was told there is a similar tablet inside Vicksburg on Clay Street close to the river at the Catfish Park.

{{EDITED}}
Found it. Marker is located on the side of a building at the SouthWest corner of Clay and Washington Street.
Vaiden Battery Tablet on Clay Street.JPG

Last edited:
@bdtex It seems that the stop in Greenwood was a great way to end the CWT Tour. You visited site of one of Grant's early attempts to reach Vicksburg and you also saw the grave of a Confederate soldier who surrendered at Vicksburg.

Here is my quick research of this Bains Battery, aka Vaiden Light Battery.
View attachment 333255

ORGANIZATION
River Batteries - Col. Edward Higgins
. . . 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery, Col. Charles A. Fuller, Lt. Col. Daniel Beltzhoover
. . . 8th Louisiana Hevy Artillery Battalion, Maj. Frederick N. Ogden
. . . 22d Louisiana (detachment), Capt. Samuel Jones
. . . 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery, Col. Andrew Jackson, Jr.
. . . ***Caruthers' Tennessee Battery, Capt. J.B. Caruthers
. . . ***Johnston's Tennessee Battery, Capt. T.N. Johnston
. . . ***Lynch's Tennessee Battery, Capt. John P. Lynch
. . . Company L, 1st Mississippi Light Artillery, Capt. Samuel C. Bains

--- *** These three companies were attached to the 1st Tennessee Heavy Artillery.

Marker at Vicksburg NMP
Link: https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=115576
Location. 32° 21.094′ N, 90° 51.134′ W. Marker is in Vicksburg National Military Park, Mississippi, in Warren County. Marker is at the intersection of Pemberton Circle and Confederate Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Pemberton Circle.

TEXT:
The command, at the beginning of the defense, May 18, 1863, was in charge of about thirty-eight heavy guns in position on the river front line, and thirteen light guns on the city front. Eleven light and six heavy guns were successively ordered to the rear line of defense with the detachments serving them, but one heavy gun was moved back to the river line. The attacks of the Union gunboats were repulsed, May 22 and May 27. The gunboat "Cincinnati" being sunk in the great bend of the river by the upper batteries on the last named day. Casualties: in opposing the passage of the Union transports, the night of April 22, killed 1, wounded 2, total 3; and during the defense, about 30 killed and wounded.

This link locates these batteries on Pemberton Circle.
View attachment 333256

I'm still not clear as to where the guns were that fired on the Cincinnati OR if the Vaiden Light Artillery would have been able to fire on it from this position.
It was a great way to finish up the Tour and I am not even done with this thread. Thanks for digging up all that information and posting it here. Good stuff. Some of those men did a lot of intense living during their short time on this Earth.

My original Monday morning plan was to be out of the hotel super early,do as much sightseeing as possible and be at the Museum Of The Mississippi Delta when it opened at 9am. However, DixieRifles and I saw quite a bit on Sunday afternoon and the weather didn't match the forecast. By late Sunday night and into early Monday morning, the cloud cover was still solid and there was a light mist. I had a long drive home Monday and I decided to sleep a little longer, drink a little coffee, eat breakfast, check out of the hotel,hit one place in town,gas up and be at the Museum by 9am Monday morning. I showered up Sunday night and got all my stuff ready to roll on Monday morning.

After eating breakfast and drinking a little more coffee I made my way down to the hotel lobby to check out a little before 8am Monday morning. DixieRifles was eating breakfast and I put my stuff in my truck and say down with him for a few minutes before rolling out. He was still drawing maps for me. :biggrin: I decided to go back to Confederate Memorial Building for a closer look. Glad I did too. Missed a lot on the quick stop on Sunday. Got some closer shots of the same side I photo'd on Sunday and then some.

IMG_20191028_082602719_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191028_082650532_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191028_083314977_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191028_083328630.jpg

It's hard to read but there is tribute to and the names of the Confederate Men and Women of Leflore County inscribed on the walls of Confederate Memorial Building in Greenwood. You can blow up the pictures and read some of it. Edited to add: Viewing the pictures on a desktop monitor,I can see that the inscriptions are quite readable. One of these days,I'm gonna get another desktop pc and monitor at my house.

2019-10-28 08.27.43-1.jpg

2019-10-28 08.28.09-1-1.jpg

2019-10-28 08.28.34-1-1.jpg

2019-10-28 08.28.55-1.jpg

2019-10-28 08.30.25-1-1.jpg

The Museum Of The Mississippi Delta is open Monday-Saturday from 9am-5pm. I arrived that Monday at 8:50am so I had time to sip on my coffee and chew on a banana before I went in. Couldn't find a donut shop closeby. :D I had given myself an hour-and-a-half at the museum. I wanted to roll out of Greenwood by 10:30am because I had at least an 8 hour drive home and I wanted to get home right at or shortly after dark that Monday. I can't remember what the entry fee was and it is not on the website oddly enough. I think it was $5-10 and I don't qualify for the military or senior citizen discount,yet. :D There are several fairly good-sized exhibit rooms but I went straight to the military/Civil War exhibits because that's what I was mainly there to see. The times on my pictures show that I spent a full hour at the Civil War exhibit. There was more there than I expected,for whatever reason. I looked at every artifact/exhibit,read every sign and studied every map thoroughly. I didn't take pictures of everything just to read later,like I sometimes do at museums. I did it onsite and it was very enjoyable. Can't always do that at museums because of the volume of stuff and time contstraints. I did take pictures of everything though.

The star of the show in the Civil War exhibit is the "Lady Polk'. You may recall from earlier in this thread that it used to on a concrete platform at Fort Pemberton Memorial Park but was stolen from there and not put back there when it was recovered.

2019-10-28 09.17.06-1.jpg

2019-10-28 09.50.41-1.jpg

2019-10-28 09.12.02-1.jpg

2019-10-28 09.12.56-1.jpg

Was there any information on the type ordnance it fired? Would it have been what is referred to as a 3.3” projectile?

Back