Green Tomato Pie

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
My Granny always made Green Tomato Pies. It was one of my Granddad's favorites. But of course he loved tomatoes and liked them in all kinds of recipes as well as just sliced.

This is old recipe but recreated for modern use.

Green Tomato Pie

1 qt. sliced green tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup seedless raisins
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
grated rind of lemon
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter
1 wineglass brandy or whiskey
1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice

Pour water over tomatoes and let simmer 5 minutes or until tomatoes have absorbed most of the water and seem tender. Add the raisins and cook a little longer. Drain off any remaining liquor, saving the juice and dump the tomatoes and raisins into a 9 inch pie pan lined with uncooked pie dough. Sprinkle with the sugar and flour mixed, and the spices. Dot the surface with butter. Add the grated rind and lemon juice. Now pour over the whole "a spilling wineglass" as they say in Kentucky, of brandy or whiskey. If the pie will hold it, add a few tablespoons of the tomato liquor to moisten the tomatoes well. Top with a slashed solid crust. Set the pan in a hot oven, 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and leave for 1/2 hour or longer or until crust is brown.

To me, this tastes very similar to apple but with a distinctive tang! Granny made this but without raisins or whiskey - think I'll try this recipe! (Going to have to wait for some green tomatoes to come on, though.)

My Granny always made Green Tomato Pies. It was one of my Granddad's favorites. But of course he loved tomatoes and liked them in all kinds of recipes as well as just sliced.

This is old recipe but recreated for modern use.

Green Tomato Pie

1 qt. sliced green tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup seedless raisins
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
grated rind of lemon
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter
1 wineglass brandy or whiskey
1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice

Pour water over tomatoes and let simmer 5 minutes or until tomatoes have absorbed most of the water and seem tender. Add the raisins and cook a little longer. Drain off any remaining liquor, saving the juice and dump the tomatoes and raisins into a 9 inch pie pan lined with uncooked pie dough. Sprinkle with the sugar and flour mixed, and the spices. Dot the surface with butter. Add the grated rind and lemon juice. Now pour over the whole "a spilling wineglass" as they say in Kentucky, of brandy or whiskey. If the pie will hold it, add a few tablespoons of the tomato liquor to moisten the tomatoes well. Top with a slashed solid crust. Set the pan in a hot oven, 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and leave for 1/2 hour or longer or until crust is brown.
Have never heard of this but I do love fried green tomatoes.

Looks like a recipe to try! Like the ingredients, can imagination the taste and texture to be a comfort food. The only change I would consider to modify is the alcohol. Need two wineglasses full. One for the recipe and one for the cook!

Okay, this sounds delicious. My husband adores mincemeat pies and these spices sound like the same flavor profile.

Green tomato pies are yummy. Saw the green tomato cake and thought of this pie.

There are many desserts made with green tomatoes. Green tomatoes are loved by many southerners.

Have you had fried green tomatoes? What a treat.

Back