"Green rather than red" - Photo Contest Entry

Chattahooch33

Sergeant Major
Annual Winner
BJy4a4LCMAAopP_.jpg

"Green rather than red"

The Vittatoe Rd. at the base of Snodgrass Hill at Chickamauga. Alabama and South Carolina troops moved left to right up the hill taking heavy casualties. The photo was taken on 5/8/13 at around 10:00 am.

I'm especially enjoying this photo as I look out my window to the backyard and see lots of snow.
It may not have looked quite this green during Chickamauga. Do the trees in the South turn like in the North? I never gave it a thought until now. Thank you for posting. It's a beautiful serene photo.

I'm especially enjoying this photo as I look out my window to the backyard and see lots of snow.
It may not have looked quite this green during Chickamauga. Do the trees in the South turn like in the North? I never gave it a thought until now. Thank you for posting. It's a beautiful serene photo.

They do, especially in the Appalachians. We may not be as famous for it due to the fact that we have a ton of pine trees which do not change mixed in.
We do, however, have southern sugar maples which turn as brilliant red as yours do!

Is this from when we went @Chattahooch33 ?

On this road, my wife's ggg uncle, Charles A. Brunson (1835-1863)was laid beside his other fallen comrades from Hilliard's legion after being KIA on Snodgrass and before being thrown into a mass burial pit down a small ravine to the left of the road in this picture, to be later reentered into an unknown grave in Marietta city cemetery after the war. My wife's ggg grandfather also sustained a broken hip from a ball at the same spot shortly after his aforementioned brother was killed.

Your photo has a wonderful feel to it, C33.

I have walked this path twice in my travels.

Bill

In North florida some of the trees turn color in December and january.some just loose their leaves without changing.

Is this from when we went @Chattahooch33 ?

On this road, my wife's ggg uncle, Charles A. Brunson (1835-1863)was laid beside his other fallen comrades from Hilliard's legion after being KIA on Snodgrass and before being thrown into a mass burial pit down a small ravine to the left of the road in this picture, to be later reentered into an unknown grave in Marietta city cemetery after the war. My wife's ggg grandfather also sustained a broken hip from a ball at the same spot shortly after his aforementioned brother was killed.

Yes it is from our trip.

Back