OH Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, Ohio

BereniceUK

Private
In addition to Frederick Phisterer, U.S. Army Generals James W. Forsyth, John G. Mitchell, Joseph H. Potter and Charles C. Walcutt are buried here. Probably the most famous names at Green Lawn are Eddie Rickenbacker and James Thurber.

Green Lawn was, and still is, is the most prestigious cemetery in Columbus and there are many large memorials in its grounds. Well worth a wander round and you can pick up a guide to the locations of its notable graves at the cemetery office.

The memorial below was erected by the Franklin County Ex-Soldiers and Sailors Association and the County Commissioners in 1890.

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2690-1.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

Ovid Wellford Smith. http://www.andrewsraid.com/jsmith2.html

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

Frederick Phisterer (born at Stuttgart, Germany, probably with the surname 'Pfisterer'). His Medal of Honor citation reads "The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to First Lieutenant (Infantry) Frederick Phisterer, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism on 31 December 1862, while serving with 18th U.S. Infantry, in action at Stone River, Tennessee. First Lieutenant Phisterer voluntarily conveyed, under a heavy fire, information to the commander of a battalion of regular troops by which the battalion was saved from capture or annihilation."

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

Is there an explanation of the meaning of the imagery on the statue? I find it quite intriguing!

I couldn't find much on this memorial online but I assume that the woman and boy represent the family the soldier left behind; it would be interesting to know if the three figures are based on an actual family or just three individuals. There must have been a press report of its unveiling in 1890, that might shed some light.

As to the shields, the one on the left seems to be one of the versions of the Seal of Ohio. "The 1847 seal depicted in the Statehouse rotunda skylight substitutes the Ohio with a canal, replete with a canal boat. In an 1860s version, the arrows levitate among the clouds." [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_Ohio ] Actually, I find myself wondering if the boat wasn't intended to represent Noah's Ark.

IMG_2687.jpg

I couldn't find much on this memorial online but I assume that the woman and boy represent the family the soldier left behind; it would be interesting to know if the three figures are based on an actual family or just three individuals. There must have been a press report of its unveiling in 1890, that might shed some light.

As to the shields, the one on the left seems to be one of the versions of the Seal of Ohio. "The 1847 seal depicted in the Statehouse rotunda skylight substitutes the Ohio with a canal, replete with a canal boat. In an 1860s version, the arrows levitate among the clouds." [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_Ohio ] Actually, I find myself wondering if the boat wasn't intended to represent Noah's Ark.

IMG_2687.jpg
While the boy seems to be in period costume, the woman appears to be in Greek or Roman costume. With the book in her hand, perhaps Wisdom, sharing her knowledge with the young boy? I'm just guessing, but statues like this interest me. While it is not obvious to me, would the meaning have been more obvious to those at the time it was made? Curiouser and curiouser!

While the boy seems to be in period costume, the woman appears to be in Greek or Roman costume. With the book in her hand, perhaps Wisdom, sharing her knowledge with the young boy? I'm just guessing, but statues like this interest me. While it is not obvious to me, would the meaning have been more obvious to those at the time it was made? Curiouser and curiouser!

From this angle it looks more like a tablet than a book so, I agree, she looks to be wearing Greek or Roman costume. How about Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice? Also of strategic warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.

IMG_2700.jpg

To answer my own question:
http://www.babcock-smithhouse.com/GraniteIndustry/MapUS/OH/ColumbusSoldoers.html

Contractor: New Eng;snd (sic)Granite Works
Material: First three courses red Westerly granite; remainder White Westerly granite
Cost: 8900
Date Ordered:
Date Shipped:
Date Dedicated: September 23, 1891
Height:
Base:
Approximate weight:
Features: Group statue on front; soldier statue on top
Location: Area 28 Green Lawn Cemetery, Columbus, OH near Greenlawn Frank Raod(sic)
About the Monument: Soldiers and Sailors Monument. The statue of white Westerly granite features a woman known as "history" relating the story of the Civil War to a young boy.

Most of the other sites I looked at did not have any information, or said there was not information regarding the statues. As well there was a bit of differing on the dates that the monument was dedicated.
This one is from Westerly Granite in Ohio, Westerly, Ohio. Smith-Babcock Museum site.

From this angle it looks more like a tablet than a book so, I agree, she looks to be wearing Greek or Roman costume. How about Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice? Also of strategic warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.

IMG_2700.jpg
That's what I thought at first.

Back