Green Beans and Ham or Hog Jowl With Corn Pone

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There is nothing like a good green bean recipe. This is the way my Granny from Kentucky prepared her green beans. It is way her Mother did them and the way her Grandma did them.

Green Beans and Ham or Hog Jowl

Place a 2 pound ham hock or 1/2 pound hog jowl in 3 pints of water
Add 1 large onion peeled
1 small piece red pepper pod
Cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 hours.

Add 2 pounds green beans
1 teaspoon sugar
salt, if necessary

Cover lightly and simmer slowly, about 2 hours or until beans are tender and most of the liquor has cooked away.

Serve with corn pones.

Recipe for Corn Pone

Mix 1 cup coarse white corn meal and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Stir in 1/2 cup boiling water.
Add 1 tablespoon melted lard or butter.
Put 1/4 teaspoon soda in 1/2 cup buttermilk and add to meal mixture.
Form in croquette-like shapes and flatten out on a greased, preheated griddle with the fingers.

Bake in pre-heated oven (450 degrees) until brown on one side. Turn and brown on other side. Makes about 6 small pones. Serve hot with butter.

Donna, you did it again. Now I can not wait till late summer/or fall harvest for the fresh green beans. It is always better with the fresh greens! Maybe I find some fresh greens at the Framers Market in Asheville later this month? :smile coffee:

I always remember Sunday dinners with my Granny and Granddad. She always served the best vegetables and green beans made this way were always there. I think one could just make a meal of them and a couple of pieces of corn pone.

There is nothing like a good green bean recipe. This is the way my Granny from Kentucky prepared her green beans. It is way her Mother did them and the way her Grandma did them.

Green Beans and Ham or Hog Jowl

Place a 2 pound ham hock or 1/2 pound hog jowl in 3 pints of water
Add 1 large onion peeled
1 small piece red pepper pod
Cover and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 hours.

Add 2 pounds green beans
1 teaspoon sugar
salt, if necessary

Cover lightly and simmer slowly, about 2 hours or until beans are tender and most of the liquor has cooked away.

Serve with corn pones.

Recipe for Corn Pone

Mix 1 cup coarse white corn meal and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Stir in 1/2 cup boiling water.
Add 1 tablespoon melted lard or butter.
Put 1/4 teaspoon soda in 1/2 cup buttermilk and add to meal mixture.
Form in croquette-like shapes and flatten out on a greased, preheated griddle with the fingers.

Bake in pre-heated oven (450 degrees) until brown on one side. Turn and brown on other side. Makes about 6 small pones. Serve hot with butter.

Donna, I often wondered about corn pone, I first remember hearing about it while reading Huckleberry Finn as a boy. I asked a grandmother and she wasn’t certain but thought it was something like hoecake -- plain corn meal mixed with water and fried in a pan with the results looking something like a pan cake. I think I have a better idea after reading your recipe. Thanks.

Back