Greatcoats/Overcoats Wise's Brigade ANV

Johnny_Reb_1865

Sergeant
So I figured I'd get myself a overcoat for this winter but I had a few questions about it first.

1. What if any kind of overcoats/greatcoats did Wise's Brigade have while stationed in the trenches around Petersburg?

2. Where they issued the imported British overcoats?

3. Would it be accurate for me to wear an English overcoat if my impression is is mid to late war?

4. Would it be wrong if I bought a Federal (captured) overcoat and dyed it?

5. Would a civilan overcoat be incorrect if my impression is supposed to be a poor farmer?

I think a Federal overcoat, dyed or not, is almost always right, regardless of other options. I find that I use my overcoat a couple events a year, and often when the suns gone down or hasn t come up yet. Warmth is the issue. Get a heavy one.

So I figured I'd get myself a overcoat for this winter but I had a few questions about it first.

1. What if any kind of overcoats/greatcoats did Wise's Brigade have while stationed in the trenches around Petersburg?

2. Where they issued the imported British overcoats?

3. Would it be accurate for me to wear an English overcoat if my impression is is mid to late war?

4. Would it be wrong if I bought a Federal (captured) overcoat and dyed it?

5. Would a civilan overcoat be incorrect if my impression is supposed to be a poor farmer?
Welcome from "inside of Mosby's Confederacy"

Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. I just finished reading a book of letters home from a lieutenant in the 12th Georgia. He wrote several times in his letters in the winter they would scavenge Federal overcoats for the winter and discard them once the spring campaign season started again. He went on to say the local enterprising residents would pick up discarded Federal overcoats and blankets and sell them to the soldiers when they were in need. So I'd say there's nothing wrong wearing a Federal overcoat. An imported British coat or civilian coat sent from home would also be good options.

Now if I get a British overcoat were the British still using this?

Or would a Federal overcoat be better?

Now if I get a British overcoat were the British still using this?

Or would a Federal overcoat be better?
I think that will work, remember you are only wearing it evening through dawn, so you could actually go with federal or even a blanket, like most did. I find that the trade blankets work very well and date back centuries, are warm and correct.

I sleep in mine often. It's like a sleeping bag with arms. You can pull the cape up over your head and block out light and wind too. Although one of those cold little buttons caressing your cheek will wake you up from the deepest slumber.

Back