Great Teacher Resources

Mountain Man, I had this issue as well. I was never comfortable in front of people. We tend to think of speaking and presenting as an innate trait, you either have it or you don’t. This is not the case. There are many different classes and courses to help with public speaking and presenting. These, for the most part, are learned traits. The most important thing is to practice.
I never had a problem standing up in front of my classes of 8th graders. In fact, I am kind of a ham, which 8th graders are okay with, yet. But I absolutely HATED Back to School Night where I had to talk to parents in my classes. And any sort of presentation in the auditorium—yikes!!

I never had a problem standing up in front of my classes of 8th graders. In fact, I am kind of a ham, which 8th graders are okay with, yet. But I absolutely HATED Back to School Night where I had to talk to parents in my classes. And any sort of presentation in the auditorium—yikes!!
My students (5th and 6th graders) have trained themselves to look up after reading for a paragraph or so of the text book or a website because they know I'm going to interrupt them with some analysis, over the top dramatic story or explanation or just generic historic babbling. They laugh at me. I understand. I laugh at me too.

http://www.brainpop.com/

http://streaming.discoveryeducation.com/

If your school doesn't use them, tell them to pay up and register: great videos for all subjects, especially history and science, and broken down by grade level with corresponding worksheets and activities.
Are you a social studies near Washington in the middle grades ?If you are then you should know that there is a program that will teach your students a new way of studying those studies If not it will be coming to your school system soon,It will make learning more fun and see history in a different way.Its based on year of 1619,Suggest that you study before it gits to your system.I would like to hear what any teacher thinks of this.THIS IS NOT POLITICAL OR ARGUMENTIVE I just like to know what teachers think of this

My students (5th and 6th graders) have trained themselves to look up after reading for a paragraph or so of the text book or a website because they know I'm going to interrupt them with some analysis, over the top dramatic story or explanation or just generic historic babbling. They laugh at me. I understand. I laugh at me too.
Ha! Mine would do that, too! I really love that interaction with them, and it’s mutual. Of all the things I’m going to miss now that I took early retirement in June, it will be being with “my kids.” (Although this year will be such hot mess because of the coronavirus, I am SO glad to have retired when I did!)

Are you a social studies near Washington in the middle grades ?If you are then you should know that there is a program that will teach your students a new way of studying those studies If not it will be coming to your school system soon,It will make learning more fun and see history in a different way.Its based on year of 1619,Suggest that you study before it gits to your system.I would like to hear what any teacher thinks of this.THIS IS NOT POLITICAL OR ARGUMENTIVE I just like to know what teachers think of this
Are you referring to the 1619 Project from the editorial staff of the New York Times?

I was just seeking clarification. We have threads on the 1619 Project, my opinion is included in those threads. But I should also mention the counter 1776 Project (can be found on the web) which is a slightly different approach.

I was just seeking clarification. We have threads on the 1619 Project, my opinion is included in those threads. But I should also mention the counter 1776 Project (can be found on the web) which is a slightly different approach.
Then I'm okay with leaving it on those threads.

@John S. Carter and @huskerblitz, I don't have a problem having this discussion on the U of ACW forum and even in this thread so long as @CivilWarTalk and @ami are okay with it...and if they are, it stays respectful and productive. I will let them chime in before the discussion goes any further.
Do you know anything of 1619 education project as to how it teaches history esp the antebellum period thur reconstruction and even the discovery of the New World or is there a new title for these periods?

Do you know anything of 1619 education project as to how it teaches history esp the antebellum period thur reconstruction and even the discovery of the New World or is there a new title for these periods?
I'm not sure if this is directed to me or @JerseyBart. I'm not finding but a couple of threads in a search on it, but yes, I am familiar with it. No, I will not use it because of some issues I have with it, mostly that it's not written by historians and it has a very pessimistic viewpoint.

As I mentioned, here is the link to a counter to the 1619 Project, the 1776 Project. It attempts to 'fix' what they find wrong in the 1619 Project and tries to be more uplifting. With that said, I will not use either primarily because I shy away from activist material as teaching aids.

I'm not sure if this is directed to me or @JerseyBart. I'm not finding but a couple of threads in a search on it, but yes, I am familiar with it. No, I will not use it because of some issues I have with it, mostly that it's not written by historians and it has a very pessimistic viewpoint.

As I mentioned, here is the link to a counter to the 1619 Project, the 1776 Project. It attempts to 'fix' what they find wrong in the 1619 Project and tries to be more uplifting. With that said, I will not use either primarily because I shy away from activist material as teaching aids.
Why can teachers not just return to teaching history and not be administors of Projects.The Civil War has always be taught as history and history has been taught as a learning experience of this country.

Why can teachers not just return to teaching history and not be administors of Projects.The Civil War has always be taught as history and history has been taught as a learning experience of this country.
Why can't history teachers have side projects that they are passionate about: book writing, museum work, informational website creation, battlefields and national parks, projects etc?

Back