Great Picture of USCT? Unit with Musicians

Found this one, very first try! Leander Brown, 30th USCT.

leanderbrown30usct3.png

leanderbrown30usct2.png

leanderbrown30usct1.png

I find it very interesting that the hospital was apparently named for Toussaint L'Ouverture, the Haitian who led the uprising against slavery in that country. He was the embodiment of the worst nightmare for Southerners.

Last edited:
Adolphus Harp, 19th USCT. He was the slave of Dennis and Joanna Clemson in Frederick County, MD. The Clemsons signed Oath of Allegiance papers and then received monetary compensation for releasing Adolphus from bondage and allowing him to join the army.

adolphusharp19thusct2.png

adolphusharp19thusct4.png

adolphusharp19thusct3.png

adolphusharp19thusct1.png

Pvt Stephen Vance, 30th USCT. He was married and drafted into service. He, like pretty much the rest of these guys, was wounded at the Crater. His injuries were in his left thigh and his back.

stephen vance 30th usct4.png

stephen vance 30th usct3.png

stephen vance 30th usct2.png

stephen vance 30th usct1.png

I finally found papers for Private Jerry Lisle, who is also listed by these other names in his service file:
  • Lyles
  • Cherry Lyle
  • Liles
lisle28ct.png

lisle28ct2.png

This letter in Lisle's/Lyles' service record states charges brought against him for hitting another soldier on the head with his musket, which broke the gun. That seems amazing to me from what I know about those guns. As for the other soldier, the fight left him "unfit for duty."
lisle28ct3.png

lisle28ct4.png

Last edited:
There is something wrong with the faces. did someone photo shop new heads on a photo?

Robert Deyo, Company K, 26th USCT. I also found Alexander and Charles Deyo of Company K. They must have been brothers.

Hi,

I was wondering if you had a picture of the whole of K and it's white officer - James B. Chase was the name he went by officially while in the Civil War but he might have had a nick name.

I'm doing a wikipedia article on him since there is a fair bit of documentation of his life. A picture or any information you had (and as much provenance and citable info as possible) would be helpful.

As a way of paying forward with a thank you I can share some other information on company K I've found:

* https://books.google.com/books?id=9fCbZujcLEwC&lpg=PA373&ots=xobhL0E3VV

"William Digs, another escaped slave from Virginia, made his way to Hamilton, arriving approximate in 1842. He married Louisa Howard in 1846 and the couple had seven children. He reportedly enlisted in the 26th USCI, (ed - it was an infantry regiment but was called USCT officially) Company K, in New York State, and was promoted to corporal. After his death, his widow, Louisa, received a pension from the United States government. Interestingly, later in life she was said to be living with Julia Berry, whom she had nursed as an infant."

* There are also some Harlem based re-enactors associated with a museum that include three regiments from the NY area - see https://www.facebook.com/New-York-R...ps-Reenactors-20th-26th-31st-604617856233679/ - looks like they've done some good work in schools and meetings.

* this is a touch on the negative side of resources but worth noting for your research perhaps - it is a review of court martials someone scanned and posted:
http://rs5.loc.gov/service/lawlib/law0001/2012/201200203998880/201200203998880.pdf

There are some mentions of the USCT 26th but none related to what I'm researching.

James B Chase is the subject of a couple books too - later he took up using other parts of his name - Thornton Chase (James Brown Thornton Chase is his full name.) After the 26th he stayed in SC with the new 104th USCI and served until November 1865. There is precious little about the 104th - there are two pictures I did run across but scant other info.

There are some wikipedia pages about some of the members of USCT or USCI you may want to see about improving too:
- Benjamin F. Randolph also in the 26th USCT and Martin Delany also in the 104th USCI, and other white officers in other USCT regiments: Walter Thorn, Edward Winslow Hinks, and William Gould (W.G.) Raymond. The hard part about wikipedia is finding citable sources!

And just to throw out one more thing… consider https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/an-american-story-race-amity-and-the-other-tradition

Have a good day.

Hi,

I was wondering if you had a picture of the whole of K and it's white officer - James B. Chase.

Hi Steven,
Internet searches claim this to be a photo of the 26th USCT. If it is, it's the only one known to exist. It says it's the regiment at Camp William Penn (outside of Philadelphia). But the 26th was organized at Riker's Island in New York Harbor, according to the unit records in Dyer's Compendium. Though a great many photographs were taken of soldiers during the Civil War, relatively speaking, they are rare. Many soldiers/regiments never had any pictures taken; and for those that did, many of the soldiers are today identified as "unknown" because their names have long since been lost to history.

Anyway, the photo here very likely includes the men of Company K. I don't know if they're in the background and Co. A is in the very front, if you know what I mean.

CampWlmPenn_26thUSCT.jpeg

It's nice to see this photo and also all of the records that have been found. Thank you, all!

Hi Steven,
Internet searches claim this to be a photo of the 26th USCT. If it is, it's the only one known to exist. It says it's the regiment at Camp William Penn (outside of Philadelphia). But the 26th was organized at Riker's Island in New York Harbor, according to the unit records in Dyer's Compendium. …

This may help explain why the picture was taken at Camp William Penn - the school arranged to work with the Camp - see https://books.google.com/books?id=UDJsRR7DcqQC&lpg=PA110&ots=MIjyVgLKZr&pg=PA110#v=onepage&q&f=false

Back