1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Great Picture of USCT? Unit with Musicians

Discussion in 'Period Civil War Photos & Examinations' started by Claude Bauer, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Claude Bauer

Claude Bauer Corporal

USCT musicans fifer with a cheater.jpg

Someone posted a great picture of a USCT unit with musicians on Facebook today, but no identifying info. Anyone know who they are? Assuming they are USCT--they look well equipped.

I'm intrigued by the fact that the fifer on the far left has a "cheater" mouthpiece on his instrument. I've seen pictures of fifers on both sides holding instruments with these mouthpieces. They used them so musicians who hadn't developed an embouchure could learn the fingerings and play--developing an embouchure is the most difficult hurdle to overcome when learning how to play the fife. I have one I use for demo purposes at living history events. It muffles the sound considerably. Sounds more like a loud tin whistle than a fife. Also the cheaters made back then were made of lead! Reproduction cheaters are made of pewter, but are no longer available.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. captaxe

captaxe Private

I don't know who they are either (certainly as you say USCT). . . .but that is an awesome picture! Looks like possibly a chaplain at right.

ForeverFree and Claude Bauer like this.
  4. Yulie

Yulie Corporal

Claude,

I've never ever seen this photograph. It's a triple-tre cool find. I've put an inquiry out to the USCT community. I'll certainly let you know if I get any information.

-Yulie

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Claude Bauer likes this.
  5. cahalanjones

cahalanjones Private

I love this photo - thanks for sharing! Especially neat since I found an enlistment record for a USCT soldier from my area today who was a musician. Too bad we don't know where they are from. Tina

Claude Bauer likes this.
  6. James B White

James B White Captain Trivia Game Winner Honored Fallen Comrade

At the link below is the image with the names and regiments written above each man, and an incredible amount of research. They're not all from one unit.

From http://blogs.lib.ku.edu/spencer/tag/charles-joyce/

7. Claude Bauer

Claude Bauer Corporal

Wow! Amazing. Thank you!

8. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Captain

JBW,

You are the man!

- Alan

9. Dave Wilma

Dave Wilma 2nd Lieutenant

The man at the right has a thick book, a chaplain?

Although posed, the men appear relaxed and natural. Priceless.

Claude Bauer likes this.
  10. Yulie

Yulie Corporal

Wonderful...wonderful. I repeat Alan's applaud of "You the man!"

I can stop looking for the source and proceed onto finding life histories of these men. I love doing this and it's not often that I have a face to go with the histories I find.

It confirms my belief that archivist are doing appraisals and preparing for digitization and finding all sort of missed and uncategorized things. In the case, the photograph was sold at auction to Charles Joyce.

-Yulie

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Claude Bauer likes this.
  11. Yulie

Yulie Corporal

[​IMG]

Francis Snow, professor and Chancellor of University of Kansas. Served with the U.S. Christian Commission during the Civil War.

Excerpt from Charles Joyce, Guest Blogger and Spencer Researcher, "Inside Spencer: The KSRL Blog," January 20, 2016

[Francis] Snow’s interest in and empathy with the black population of Alexandria, which had swelled during the war years, was also manifest in other, less official duties, like teaching a Sunday School class of black children. Indeed, when his tour with the Commission ended in early September, Snow “found it hard to get away” from those men, women, and children. He gave the Reverend Leonard $20 to “lay out for the boys” at L’Ouverture.

Sometime thereafter, probably toward the end of 1864, an unknown artist took a photograph of Leonard with a group of black soldiers who were convalescing from war wounds and sickness at L’Ouverture. Someone sent a copy of the image to Francis Snow; he carefully wrote down each man’s name in the margins of the image and kept it all of his life. The photograph was found in a box in Snow’s personal library some 145 years later, and I purchased it in an online auction. More research on the soldiers in the photograph led to the holdings of the Spencer Library, including Snow’s original diary and Christian Commission journals. More on that in the next entry…

The "next entry" was the blog which JBW provided the link to. Charles Joyce is an attorney residing in Philadelphia, Penn.

-Yulie

12. Bryan_C

Bryan_C First Sergeant

Great find, Claude. The caps and frocks of the men in the middle of the photo seem unusually light-colored, especially compared to the men on the extreme ends of the picture.

USCT-with-names-2.jpg

13. Bryan_C

Bryan_C First Sergeant

Service Record for Pvt. Toby Trout, 31st USCT:

Pvt Toby Trout Pic.png
    Toby Trout 31st USCT.png

ForeverFree and RebYell64 like this.
  14. Bryan_C

Bryan_C First Sergeant

pvtdegraff22ndct.png

Card identifies him as "Degraef." However, some records do say Degraff.

degraff22ndusct1.png

Proof showing Degraef was at the hospital in Alexandria, VA.

degraff22ndusct2.png

ForeverFree and RebYell64 like this.
  15. Bryan_C

Bryan_C First Sergeant

Pvt. John H Johnson, 27th USCT.

pvtjohnhjohnson27usct.png
    enlistmentrecordjohnhjohnson1.png

ForeverFree likes this.
  16. Claude Bauer

Claude Bauer Corporal

17. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Captain

What Facebook page was this taken from?

- Alan

18. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Captain

The man at the far right is Reverend Chauncey Leonard, a chaplain at L’Ouverture Hospital. Can anyone tell if he was enlisted or commissioned in the US Army?

- Alan

19. Bryan_C

Bryan_C First Sergeant

I was trying to get these in order left to right but since you asked, here's Reverend Leonard. I didn't find a service record for him.

revcleonard.png
    chauncey leonard.png

ForeverFree likes this.
  20. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Captain

BC,

Thanks for your time and effort.

So I take it that Leonard was appointed to a federal position, but was otherwise not a commissioned chaplain in the US army?

- Alan

21. Bryan_C

Bryan_C First Sergeant

I haven't found a record for a Lisle in the 28th USCT. I found men of similar names but no record yet found of them being in the hospital in Alexandria, VA.

lisle28ct.png

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)