Great New Addition To The CW Witness Pens Collection Libby Prison

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
Just got this one posted and its a GREAT one made with wood from Libby prison. You checkout the entire collection at www.civilwarwitnesspens.com. I'm hoping to have my USS Cairo pen next week and I can't wait to get it. As soon as I get it in my hot little hand I will post it.

The Libby building in Richmond Va. (formally the Libby & Son Ship Chandlers & Grocers). It was the only building in the area to have running water, was considered an ideal site by the Confederate authorities for a prison for Union soldiers. The building was 3 stories at the front, 4 stories in the rear, and measured almost 45,000 square feet. By 1863, the rooms became so crowded that the prisoners had to sleep "spoon-fashion". They were head to foot in alternating rows along the floor. They were packed so tightly that when they slept, it became the responsibility of the highest ranking man in each room to call out "spoon over”! This was done throughout the night to enable everyone to roll over in unison.
libby prison-1.jpg

Prisoners complained of short rations, cold, and lice, yet many were able to buy extra provisions and receive packages from home. The prisoners suffered from the intense cold weather. The windows at the prison were broken out during the summer for relief from the heat. Smallpox and other diseases were increasing dramatically. By 1863, the daily rations were getting smaller and then consisted of a couple of ounces of meat, 1/2 pound of bread, and a small cup of beans or rice. Conditions at Libby were not much different than conditions in tens of other facilities both North and South, basically miserable!
libby prison interior.jpg

This pen is made from wood from Libby prison after it was was dismantled and relocated to Chicago for the Expo of 1893. After that the building was sold off in parts as souvenirs. This pen is made from one of those pieces. It is one of the nicest pens in the collection.
libby prison yellow pine.jpg

ucvrelics

Major
Forum Host
Yes it does. Below is a sneak peek of the pens Dr. Gary has already completed from the USS Cairo wood I sent him. He received the wood on Thursday and has already finished one.
cairo pen.jpg