Great Image of Union Cannoneers

Championhilz

First Sergeant
Forum Host
32630v1_zpsb262e131.jpg

I found this great image of a group of Union Cannoneers in the Liljenquist Family Collection of Civil War images at the Library of Congress. Good close-up images of artillerymen with their gun are not that easy to find, so I thought I would share.

Note that the #2 man appears to be holding a canister round

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that the guys working the gun are stripped down to the short-lived, and even rolled up sleeves. (So much for never going out of doors with less than a vest...) further from the business end, jackets, no accoutrements, as it should be. The two flankers... well, I guess they didn't get the word!

I love that the guys working the gun are stripped down to the short-lived, and even rolled up sleeves. (So much for never going out of doors with less than a vest...) further from the business end, jackets, no accoutrements, as it should be. The two flankers... well, I guess they didn't get the word!
In many of the photos taken in the field its not uncommon to see enlisted men walking around without a jacket or vest. Even if the "can't go out without a vest" thing was true for most civilians, soldiers (at least enlisted men) seemed to have often done away with it for convenience.

In many of the photos taken in the field its not uncommon to see enlisted men walking around without a jacket or vest. Even if the "can't go out without a vest" thing was true for most civilians, soldiers (at least enlisted men) seemed to have often done away with it for convenience.
We even have Col. Fremantle at Shelbyville watching the troops pass in review and his comment that the officers allowed them to march in their shirtsleeves owing to the heat (June 1863).

Reactions: AUG
Okay, that hat insignia...crossed cannon? Could be sabers, but note the man on the far left has what's either a palm tree or something resembling a dragonfly. Wow! I just clicked to enlarge, and those are definitely crossed cannon. The man on the left seems to have something else inside the cannon.

The fellow in the center rear wearing plaid shirt, enormous black bow tie, goober hat, and patch on his trowsers has not let the official regulations or rough living in the field impact his sartorial splendor. I love the cocky individuality of these guys. Any one of them is handsome enough for a J Crew or Abercrombie ad.

I like that one of them is holding a canister. The one on the right, notice that his saber belt is on backwards? looking at it closely, it appears there is a pistol butt sticking out on his right side - could be the reason the belt is on backwards, to hold the weight of the pistol. also, he does not appear to be carrying an artillery sabre. it looks more like a musicians or medical sword. As an artillery reenactor, I noticed the leather haversack on the man just behind the one with the canister. He would be the one to carry the round from the limber to the front of the gun (they would be placed in the leather haversack). In reenacting, it's hard enough to get our blank rounds out of the haversack we use. I always wondered how they did it with a complete round. I noticed that the one he has is quite a bit larger than the ones we use for reenacting (that are supposed to be the correct size)

I like that one of them is holding a canister. The one on the right, notice that his saber belt is on backwards? looking at it closely, it appears there is a pistol butt sticking out on his right side - could be the reason the belt is on backwards, to hold the weight of the pistol. also, he does not appear to be carrying an artillery sabre. it looks more like a musicians or medical sword. As an artillery reenactor, I noticed the leather haversack on the man just behind the one with the canister. He would be the one to carry the round from the limber to the front of the gun (they would be placed in the leather haversack). In reenacting, it's hard enough to get our blank rounds out of the haversack we use. I always wondered how they did it with a complete round. I noticed that the one he has is quite a bit larger than the ones we use for reenacting (that are supposed to be the correct size)
------------------------
It's a reverse image so his pistol is actually on his right hip & sword on left side… look at the buttons on the uniform jackets & you can see they appear on the wrong side due to the reverse imaging …

It must take Ami forever, finding these, thank you Ami- it's like ' Treasure in the Attic ', no clue it was up there in CWT's attic waiting to be dusted off.

I don't know, these men look like awfully formidable weapons all by themselves. Would not wish to be the men ordered marching towards them. I mean, their faces have a similar kind of look athletes get when pushed hard, largely muscle and no fat. You know- people who walk with a tautness others do not have. I'm no expert; guessing they're veterans of a few battles?

Is their officer smiling? As well as the man, 3rd from left whose official duty I do not know ( so would rather not sound like an idjit ).

I think the nco on the right is wearing an 1860 cavalry saber, and the one on the left an 1840 artillery saber- the godawful home-based one with the single brass backstrap.

Okay, that hat insignia...crossed cannon? Could be sabers, but note the man on the far left has what's either a palm tree or something resembling a dragonfly. Wow! I just clicked to enlarge, and those are definitely crossed cannon. The man on the left seems to have something else inside the cannon.

I believe he has a feather in his hat. If you look at the group several are clearly wearing feathers in thier head gear.

Back