1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Grave of Isabella "Belle" Boyd and Spring Grove Cemetery, Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson' started by James N., Aug 3, 2016.

1. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

015.JPG

A tidy cemetery outside the regional tourist trap, Wisconsin Dells, seems an unlikely resting place for "notorious" Confederate lady spy Isabella Maria "Belle" Boyd who famously gave General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson information that aided in his capture of Front Royal in his Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1862. Nevertheless, she does indeed rest there amid numbers of Union veterans!

belle-boyd.jpg

Belle, seen at left as a teenager in the early years of the war, was following the death of her third husband in 1885 a regular feature on the lecture circuit giving talks about her wartime adventures, escapades, and escapes. Above at right is a later photo of Belle attired in the psuedo-Confederate garb she adopted for her talks. According to her biography on Wikipedia, she was on tour, when she fell ill herself and died suddenly of a heart attack June 11, 1900.

001.JPG

The scene of her death was the small community of Kilbourn City, Wisconsin, now renamed Wisconsin Dells. Local members of the Grand Army of the Republic raised money for her burial since she had no known relatives, or at least none nearby. No doubt her status as Civil War heroine and widow of a Union naval officer veteran played a large part in their generous actions.

002.JPG

Her grave remains marked with tributes, flags, and flowers.

003.JPG
    006.JPG

The cemetery boasts other graves of veterans, some wartime like that of captain Otis Clark of the 5th Minnesota below.

007.JPG

A handsome G.A.R. monument and flag serves as a focal point of the oldest section.

009.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    AUG351, cwmeg, BelleBlackburn and 5 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Nice photos. Did you just take trip there?

4. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Thanks; yes, I just returned a week ago today. We drove from near St. Paul to Milwaukee and Kenosha, Wisconsin and my host "surprised" me with a slight detour to The Dells to visit Belle Boyd. We also went to Kenosha's Civil War Museum and several interesting places back in Minnesota on the way back that I will be sharing in later threads.

donna and lelliott19 like this.
  5. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

When my husband and I use to go to Milwaukee a lot for his former job, we would stop in Kenosha on way up. There was a nice little restaurant we would eat late lunch at. I remember they were just building the Kenosha Civil War Museum. Also remember all the cabbage being grown in that area. My husband got several photos of cabbage growing in the fields.

James N. likes this.
  6. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo First Sergeant

Great Photos James ! Belle was a very brave 17 year old & she performed valuable services for the Confederate Cause.

James N. and donna like this.
  7. mt155

mt155 First Sergeant Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Very cool....thanks for sharing.

8. littledoug

littledoug Corporal

Would not have expected to find her grave up there.

Kind of sad that she died without family away from home.

James N. likes this.
  9. mkyzzzrdet

mkyzzzrdet Private

Reading about Capt Otis Clark (above). He was mustered out in July 1863, only to die 9 months later. The 5th would have been on garrison duty in Richmond, Louisiana at the time he was mustered out,(from what I can tell). I wonder if he was already ill or incapacitated/wounded, causing him to have to leave the service??

James N. likes this.
  10. mkyzzzrdet

mkyzzzrdet Private

Wait a minute - as per Otis Clark - does his inscription read "I died for my country"? Maybe he died of wounds??

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)