Grave of General Solomon Meredith, Commander of the Iron Brigade

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Michael W.

First Sergeant
Last weekend we accepted a dinner invitation in Cambridge City, Indiana, about 40 minutes from where we live. When we arrived at the restaurant, this painting of Solomon Meredith was on the building next door. Of course my friends asked me if I knew who he was, which I did. I was asking out loud, "Why is Solomon Meredith, Colonel of the 19th Indiana and Commander of the Iron Brigade painted on this building?" Turns out he lived here. Turns out he's also buried here. I immediately left the restaurant and everyone there and found the local cemetery. His monument is massive, must be at least 30 feet high. I'll have to come back on my own and see if there is anything else here related to him.
thumbnail_20200112_132232.jpg
thumbnail_20200112_133716.jpg
thumbnail_20200112_133808.jpg

rpkennedy

Lt. Colonel
Member of the Year
Interestingly, when John Gibbon was promoted to division command, he recommended Lysander Cutler of the 6th Wisconsin to replace him in commanding the Iron Brigade. Instead, Solomon Meredith's political connections led to his promotion to brigadier general. As a brigade commander, Meredith was very so-so.

Ryan

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Wasn't he a Quaker? Always found that intriguing, Quakers who fought. We had that and I've never been able to figure it out. Grgrgrandfather must have left the sect to enlist. He never went back although that could have been the result of marrying a battleax of a Methodist.

Michael W.

First Sergeant
Interestingly, when John Gibbon was promoted to division command, he recommended Lysander Cutler of the 6th Wisconsin to replace him in commanding the Iron Brigade. Instead, Solomon Meredith's political connections led to his promotion to brigadier general. As a brigade commander, Meredith was very so-so.

Ryan
Correct. Gibbon was not impressed with Meredith's performance at Fredericksburg and was furious when Hooker elevated him to brigade command prior to Gettysburg, due to Meredith's political connections.

Michael W.

First Sergeant
Wasn't he a Quaker? Always found that intriguing, Quakers who fought. We had that and I've never been able to figure it out. Grgrgrandfather must have left the sect to enlist. He never went back although that could have been the result of marrying a battleax of a Methodist.
Yes he was raised a Quaker, but later become a Methodist. Guess that explains his hot head temper...:banghead:. He lived in Wayne County, Indiana which had a heavy Quaker population. In 1864 Solomon ran for Congress, while still on duty, and beat his opponent unconscious during an argument. I don't know if that was because of his Methodist tendencies or possibly related to the skull fracture he sustained when he was struck in the head by shrapnel at Gettysburg on Day 1.