1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

GRAPHIC:More Wounds on Right Side of Body

Discussion in 'Medical Care of the Civil War' started by lelliott19, Mar 21, 2017.

1. lelliott19

lelliott19 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

"Predominance of wounds on the Right Side of the Body.
    ... the operations of skirmishers, who deliver their fire usually from the right hand side of the trees that shelter them; in consequence of this, the right hand, arm, and shoulder, and the right thigh, knee, and leg, receive many more wounds than the left.*" ~ Dr. Edmund Andrews, Surgeon, 1st Illinois Light Artillery
    upload_2017-3-20_23-50-49.png
    https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/reed-bontecous-portraits-of-wounded-soldiers-1865/
    @huskerblitz brought Dr. Andrews' statement to my attention in another thread. It was something I had never thought about. Even though Dr. Andrews makes his claim in relation to battles in the western theater, it looks like the same held true elsewhere - at least for the example below. Of these 64 soldiers wounded in the arm, 35 were wounded in the right arm and 29 in the left arm.
    upload_2017-3-20_23-19-4.png
    https://books.google.com/books?id=e...iYKHbQ1A0MQ6AEIHDAB#v=onepage&q=right&f=false

* page 38 - https://archive.org/stream/2164035R.nlm.nih.gov/2164035R#page/n0/mode/2up

Burning Billy, Seduzal, Podad and 3 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

My my my....what a mess those minie balls made. That young man was lucky his arm wasn't just amputated when the surgeon at the field hospital first saw it.

4. Keiri

Keiri Corporal

does anyone have a listing of the soldiers photographed in this type of medical journal? I've been thinking about diving in and paging through as many as I could find, but it helps to ask first.

JohnW. likes this.
  5. Pat Young

Pat Young Colonel Forum Host

Poor fellow.

stokes.JPG

JohnW. and lelliott19 like this.
  6. Pat Young

7. Pat Young

8. Pat Young

More on the photographer:

Dr. Reed. B. Bontecou, a physician, and soldier from New York took a camera to the American Civil War (1861–1865) and photographed wounded soldiers as well as documenting treatments, surgeries and working conditions of the physician. The civil war surgeon played a major role in identifying and documenting clearly the numerous casualties of the Civil War battlefields. These photos were later used to verify the severity of the soldiers’ wounds in order to determine the level of the post-war pension payments.

The albums of wounded American Civil War soldiers treated and photographed by Dr. Bonticou have appeared in numerous exhibitions, many of the images were displayed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art as part of the Photography and the American Civil War exhibition.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016...ed-determine-level-post-war-pension-payments/

9. Seduzal

Seduzal 2nd Lieutenant

Wow! What an interesting story. Is this the first recorded photos of wounded soldiers battle wounds of the civil war that may have started better medical treatment saving many more lives?
    Thanks for sharing.

PeterT, JohnW. and lelliott19 like this.
  10. Burning Billy

Burning Billy Corporal

I'm amazed at how composed the young man looks despite having a horrific injury. He also looks very thin, and I'm saying that as someone with a 30 in. waist. I wonder if he lost weight during his illness.

Glad to read that he made a recovery from the gangrene.

PeterT, JohnW. and lelliott19 like this.
  11. lelliott19

lelliott19 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Pat Young and JohnW. like this.
  12. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant

I'm pretty sure he had decent dose of morphine on board at the time. If not, he has an incredibly high pain threshold.

13. Pat Young

lelliott19 and JohnW. like this.
  14. jackt62

jackt62 First Sergeant

There seemed to have been a fascination in those days of photographing the wounded. May be related to using the new technology of photography to assist in educating doctors about those types of injuries.

lelliott19 and JohnW. like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)