GRAPHIC: Dead Fenian Brotherhood soldier at Eccles Hill, 1870. Real or staged?

chubachus

First Sergeant
Eccles_Hill%2C_1870%2C_Border_Volunteers_with_Fenian_slaid.jpg

Photograph said to show Canadian militiamen posing with the body of a Fenian Brotherhood soldier who was killed during the Battle of Eccles Hill in Quebec, 1870. I have been leaning towards staged for a while, but I was wondering what all of you thought about it.

Image source.
Battle of Eccles Hill Wikipedia entry.
Fenian Raids Wikipedia entry.

7thWisconsin

Sergeant Major
Nice photo of Canadian militia, too. Here's another. The Canadians suffered no losses.

Attachments

• tumblr_nl4sred8lf1tz6s8uo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nl4sred8lf1tz6s8uo1_500.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:

M.Warren

First Sergeant
Yeah, very quick. Looks like he just dropped. Poor misguided lad.
Indeed. After cleaning up the photo and zooming in, my guess from someone else who's seen more of this than I cared to, is he was hit in the back of the head with the round exiting through his face. Judging from the position of his hands, elbows, legs and feet, blood located on the back and the side of his head and covering his face. It looks as though he fell straight forward onto his weapon, where he stood, on impact and never knew what hit him.

chubachus

First Sergeant
Here is another version of the photograph I came across recently, it comes from a stereoview:

eccles hill.jpg

Last edited:

M.Warren

First Sergeant
Yeah I see what you're talking about M, definately took one in the brain housing group....
Think I'll hit the old "unwatch" button. Glad it's not in color.
Agreed. Its morbid enough in black and white. After seeing the clearer copy, which is better quality than my skills allowed me to produce, I'm not as sure about where he was hit but quite sure it was over quick without struggle or suffering. I've never cared for these type of photo's and judging by the looks of the soldiers standing there, they also feel for this soldier. What looked to be pooled blood in the other pic, seems to be more shadow in the second pic, but if the round didn't through and through and he was killed immediately there likely wouldn't be as much blood. Dead people don't bleed, but body's drain from large wounds and gravity as you know all too well. He may have been hit in the back and not the head. Regardless, I still think he lays where he fell, due to the position of his body, lack of tracks or drag marks.

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
I got lost for a second, with Canadians and Fenians and Brotherhoods, until I realized that the photo and this post have zero to do with the scope of these here forums :wink:

That said, not sure that the guy laying head first in the middle of the road is even dead, no blood, nothing obvious is missing, nothing is decomposing, etc...

The chin strap is being used on his kepi, and the hands could go either way. Still feel bad for this guy. Not only was he killed but then used as a prop for a photo op. People do some weird stuff.

Absolutely agree! I have wondered instantly to what purpose this photo was made. And then again, do I want to know? But on the other hand it shows to people like me who fortunately have never seen any bloodshed the grim reality of war and what it really means to be a soldier. So, even should it be staged, at least that mission is accomplished.

7thWisconsin

Sergeant Major
Canada was a new nation at that time, and still developing its military heritage. That skirmish was a major event. They wanted to get in the papers for being there. For better or for worse, they simply didn't have the same feelings about the dead that we do now. While beloved family members might be photographed in a deceased state, and mourned elaborately, criminals might be photographed in their coffins surrounded by a crowd. Sometimes still in their bloody clothes clutching firearms. The deceased, not the crowd, that is.

CCMDCSA

Sergeant
I'm kinda split with a slight staged lean only because it looks like the man on the ground has alot of space under his head and face I would think if he was dead it would be pressed against the ground