Grape Nut Pudding

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Grape Nut cereal was first introduced in 1897 by Sylvester Graham. In New England , shortly after its introduction, Grape Nut Pudding became a favorite dessert.

1 cup grapenut cereal
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 quart of milk, scalded
1 tablespoon vanilla
pinch of cinnamon or cardamom or both
nutmeg
dash of salt.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour the scaled milk over Grapenuts and let sit 5 minutes. Beat eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and vanilla. Add mixture to milk and Grapenuts.

Pour into 2 quart baking dish and sprinkle with nutmeg. Set in pan of hot water and bake for 45 minutes.

Grape Nut cereal was first introduced in 1897 by Sylvester Graham. In New England , shortly after its introduction, Grape Nut Pudding became a favorite dessert.

1 cup grapenut cereal
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 quart of milk, scalded
1 tablespoon vanilla
nutmeg
dash of salt.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour the scaled milk over Grapenuts and let sit 5 minutes. Beat eggs, sugar, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and vanilla. Add mixture to milk and Grapenuts.

Pour into 2 quart baking dish and sprinkle with nutmeg. Set in pan of hot water and bake for 45 minutes.
Never knew that,in my younger days I used to like grape nuts.it has been a long time since I had some.

I like Grape Nut Cereal, too. But I'm weird 'cause I put it in a covered container with milk and leave it in the fridge overnight. Makes a good soft breakfast. The softening keeps the cereal from becoming akin to eating gravel.

My dad used to like Grape Nuts, meaning it was sometimes the only cereal we had. I eventually developed a taste for it, but haven't had it in years. Cheerios and Raisin Bran are considerably higher on my list.

If I ever get to New Hampshire, I may or may not try Grape Nuts Ice Cream, which is apparently popular there.

1 cup grapenut cereal
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 quart of milk, scalded
1 tablespoon vanilla
nutmeg
dash of salt.

Been a while since I made this. As fall approaches, gotta make a batch. The dish I use belonged to my mother in law. Just a simple red square Corning (or Pyrex?) dish, but she always used it for GNC. She brought one over for Christmas 1998 and I never got a chance to give the dish back to her before she died the next fall. That dish and that "dish" always bring her back.

Back