Grant Grants eating habits was A formal debate propostion for Grant.

Horace Porter

First Sergeant
Enjoy that attempt. I have done Mr. Rose the courtesy of buying and reading his book, only to be attacked repeatedly by the author because I ask questions and make suggestions. I have even defended him on this forum. The behavior is not reciprocated. Instead, Mr. Rose plays games. Example: when I agree with another poster that James H. Wilson had an axe to grind against Grant, he argues that Wilson had an axe to grind for Grant (referring, I suppose, to the 1868 campaign biography); when I express surprise that perhaps he doesn't know about Wilson's change of heart (knowing full well that he does), he insults me without conceding that he's just been playing a game with the readers of this forum.

After reading 727 pages of relentless ranting (text plus notes) that contains far less new information that I thought such an endeavor might possess, I've had enough. Add to this the return of Mr. Moore, who will just recycle his old patterns of debate, and so on, and I have better ways to spend my time. I don't regret my purchase, and I'm sure the book will prove useful and enlightening due to some of the information it contains, even if the premise is tiresome and characterized by an extreme slant. It's too difficult to remain wedded to a discussion of the evidence alone without a rigorous and continuous moderation, and that's not fair to the moderators, who have tolerated enough.

Enjoy that attempt. I have done Mr. Rose the courtesy of buying and reading his book, only to be attacked repeatedly by the author because I ask questions and make suggestions. I have even defended him on this forum. The behavior is not reciprocated. Instead, Mr. Rose plays games. Example: when I agree with another poster that James H. Wilson had an axe to grind against Grant, he argues that Wilson had an axe to grind for Grant (referring, I suppose, to the 1868 campaign biography); when I express surprise that perhaps he doesn't know about Wilson's change of heart (knowing full well that he does), he insults me without conceding that he's just been playing a game with the readers of this forum.

After reading 727 pages of relentless ranting (text plus notes) that contains far less new information that I thought such an endeavor might possess, I've had enough. Add to this the return of Mr. Moore, who will just recycle his old patterns of debate, and so on, and I have better ways to spend my time. I don't regret my purchase, and I'm sure the book will prove useful and enlightening due to some of the information it contains, even if the premise is tiresome and characterized by an extreme slant. It's too difficult to remain wedded to a discussion of the evidence alone without a rigorous and continuous moderation, and that's not fair to the moderators, who have tolerated enough.

I don't mind doing the moderation, if some truth gets out. Even the lack of a debate can be informative. The threat to strictly moderate a thread can have the effect of quieting some folks. All of which makes a public record of who has something and who just got nothing.

I appreciate the time and effort you took in reading the book and providing information here from it.

Last edited:

You needn't worry about me about recycling my old patterns of debate Horace. I'm done with this site. We all "have better ways to spend our time." Let me know when your book is published and I'll read it (something I guess you haven't done with mine.) Perhaps we'll bump into each other in a manuscript reading room somewhere. What is the working title of your book?

You needn't worry about me about recycling my old patterns of debate Horace. I'm done with this site. We all "have better ways to spend our time." Let me know when your book is published and I'll read it (something I guess you haven't done with mine.) Perhaps we'll bump into each other in a manuscript reading room somewhere. What is the working title of your book?

Good bye and prosper.

William S. Rosecrans: The Unhappy Warrior.

And here I thought I'd be able to let everyone know that grant only eight piece steak well done burnt crisp unrecognizable. PS you're complaining about the book I have a literature major in back of me explaining all my wrongs and proper writing.

That's the spirit.

And here I thought I'd be able to let everyone know that grant only eight piece steak well done burnt crisp unrecognizable. PS you're complaining about the book I have a literature major in back of me explaining all my wrongs and proper writing.
I had completely forgotten Grant only ate well done meat. Excellent.

Back