Grant statue - Philadelphia, PA

I am ashamed to say that I've never been to that cemetery. Also, I have yet to see Hancock's grave, which is north of Philadelphia. I plan to do that in the summer.

I've never been to Laurel Hill yet either. I would like to visit sometime.

There are 4 other Civil War generals buried in Montgomery Cemetery. As well as the Grand Army of The Republic burial plot named in honor of General Zook. And a Civil War nurse.

Capture.JPG

I am ashamed to say that I've never been to that cemetery. Also, I have yet to see Hancock's grave, which is north of Philadelphia. I plan to do that in the summer.
You won't be disappointed. Be sure to take the cemetery tour and also have your lunch at the City Tavern. David.

Never came across it either but haven't spent a lot of time in Philly- it's a great statue! Think it has anything to do with how involved Philadelphia was, in the war? It's like the whole city turned out to fight or heal or raise money for healing or to go build something helpful.

You're a wonderful tour guide, Equestrian Girl, thank you!

Wonder if trunk and junk was from an accident clean up- blocking off the scene? You can't tell me, from where Grant is situated, a few misunderstandings between car and base haven't happened.

I've never been to Laurel Hill yet either. I would like to visit sometime.

You were so close, since it is right off Kelly Drive!

There are 4 other Civil War generals buried in Montgomery Cemetery. As well as the Grand Army of The Republic burial plot named in honor of General Zook. And a Civil War nurse.

Four generals?? Wow...had no idea. So, when I am done school in June, I am heading up there.

Never came across it either but haven't spent a lot of time in Philly- it's a great statue! Think it has anything to do with how involved Philadelphia was, in the war? It's like the whole city turned out to fight or heal or raise money for healing or to go build something helpful.

I'm sure that had a lot to do with Grant's popularity. Close to 75% of the entire male population of Philadelphia served in the Union Army at some point during the Civil War.

source

For detail - This was once in a prominent part of town, along the way to the entrance to the grounds of the Philadelphia Exposition. The Exposition site is now a city park including a fabulous monument or memorial dedicated to the Grand Army of the Republic, but during my visit it was virtually desolate. The land is historically significant: it was the site of country estates of the wealthy who built them along the bluffs where they might possibly catch summer breezes; one of them had been confiscated from a Tory during the Revolution and was being purchased by Gen. Benedict Arnold (yes - THAT Benedict Arnold!) for his new bride, the former Peggy Shippen. The mansions seem to stand by themselves, much like this statue, maintained by the city but forgotten by its current uncaring population.

It seems like it was erected in his memory after he had passed away. He did live in Philadelphia for a short while, but I can't find anything that links that to the statue. It just seems it was an expression of mourning for a former president, and at least for Philadelphians at that time, a national hero.

Association for Public Art - Gen. Ulysses S. Grant

There is a statue of Meade in Philadelphia, as well as McClellan and Reynolds.

The statue of General Reynolds near City Hall is one of my favorites....

Back