Grant killed in 1865

@leftyhunter I never let the idea of Johnson being denied or assassinated enter my mind, just a scenario of political intrigue by Stanton to make him an ineffective President, something of President in name only.

To me the only hopes of Confederate success in a scenario of taking City Point and the AoP falling back are these:
1. Sherman removed from command and a complete imbecile replacing him.

2. The Union hastily demands offensive action from the AoP before its ready in an effort to get the ball moving forward and quiet political chaos and is forced into a battle like Cold Harbor or Spotsylvania, a scenario the ANV was still capable of winning.

3. The repeated hammer blows of Grant's death, AoP retreating from Petersburg, combined Lincoln's Assassination causing so much political chaos that the Union has no choice but to consider a cease fire to stall for time to get it's house in order.

If we go with the latter, I can't see the Union lifting the blockade or withdrawing from anything they control, in other words, ports and other cities. But if a ceasefire were to happen, it would give the Confederacy some time to restock on food. They probably could have won the war with the guns and ammo they had, the only problem was food. At least in Virginia and the Carolinas.
No doubt alternative history is a trickey proposition. Yes there is a market place for alternative history.
By April 1865 it would take a miracle for the Confederacy to survive.
Any alternative history senario can easily be ripped apart but then again some people like alternative history so as an author ultimately you just have to take the plunge and hope ones story will sell and it just might.
Leftyhunter

No doubt alternative history is a trickey proposition. Yes there is a market place for alternative history.
By April 1865 it would take a miracle for the Confederacy to survive.
Any alternative history senario can easily be ripped apart but then again some people like alternative history so as an author ultimately you just have to take the plunge and hope ones story will sell and it just might.
Leftyhunter

True. Lord knows alternative history with the CW is harder to rip apart when its early or mid war. I only know of one that attempted late war, something about Davis leaving Johnson in command at Atlanta and the election.

I guess its easy to see why late war is left alone. It was possible with only the right set of circumstances, and fining them is a headscratcher. Fun headscratcher.

there was a rumor in the southern army that Grant had been killed in front of Petersburg. I think Beauregard even mentions it. But as I recall, the general feeling was that the rebs would miss him due to the high casualty rate of the union soldiers.

would Lincoln have gone to the theater had Grant been killed? Doubtful. Doesn't really affect where the AotP or the James are. Sherman moving Thomas to Petersburg to help while he stays where he is makes some sense. How would this affect moving the 23Rd corps? Keeping it in Virginia?

Back