Grant Grant is visited in his final days by old buddy (and ex-Confederate) Buckner

outstanding story.

I think tales like that are what make the Civil War so unique, and so touching.

... and what attracts even foreigners like me and many more here who want to know more about it. Why it came that brother fought brother - but also how it came that the hostilities could be overcome afterwards and the United States grew to this great nation it is today. I think people like Grant, Longstreet and Chamberlain had a big part in that. Lee would have too, I think, but he died to early. What to me is remarkable in all these men is the absence of the feeling of revenge. They were able to let the past be the past and look forward without hatred. I'm not sure if I had been able to react this way ... but that is why I admire them so much.
Very good thread and very good posts!

These men swore an oath to the United States of America, they attended West Point together, they fought side by side in Mexico and the Indian wars. Put simply they RESPECTED one another. When the war was finally over they wanted to put it behind them and get on with the business of mending a war torn nation.

Last edited:
Buckner himself is an interesting character with friends and family on the Union side. He had once been named his adolescent brother-in-law's guardian, after the death of his wife's father. The other guardian named was future Union General, Ambrose Burnside. That teen would grow to become Col. Kingsbury of the 11th Connecticut & was killed at Antietam attempting to take what became known as Burnsides Bridge. Kingsbury was shot at least four times & mortally wounded. Burnside wept at the news but was not alone among the mourners for Kingsbury at Antietam. Confederate Gen. David R. (Neighbor) Jones is said to have been extremely distraught at the news of Kingsbury's death. It was the Rebel troops under Jones command who defended the Burnside Bridge & who shot Kingsbury down during the charge of the 11th Connecticut. Sadly, like Buckner, Jones was another of Kingsbury's own Brother-in-law's in the Southern armies... Neighbor Jones would himself leave the army due to ill heath & grief. He would die from heart disease little more then 3 months later.

View attachment 46971
Gen. David R. Jones

View attachment 46973
Col. Kingsbury, 11th Conn.
That is so horrible.

"O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!" (2 Samuel 18:33)

One of the nicest Grant threads for awhile, halo requires no spit-polish, just nice we've been allowed to and bring along a twofer. Both men, you read about these people, resolve not to cut any of the same corners in sheer character they disallowed themselves. We should be so good at, from our mouths to God's ear.

Freestater,
What a fabulous story! And what fabulous responses! Many, many thanks for your original post. And thanks to everyone else who chimed in.

At the risk of coming across so briefly it must appear aliens have taken over my body- just ' Yes'. And thanks so much. And who says you're not an expert? Is this what happens when one pitches the televisions? May I say " Boy Howdy " if born in PA? ( Cold Sassy Tree ). Seems appropriate. And why do Southerners get all the good stuff? :giggle:

That is so horrible.

"O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!" (2 Samuel 18:33)

SO sorry, how annoying 3 post in a row- honestly!! Could be edited together but do not belong together. Anyway, sorry! Like this-
That is so horrible.

Made me boo-y, cry. The ancients have nothing on you, Kansas, going down in there and yanking hard on a handful of resonating chords. Whew.

Made me boo-y, cry. The ancients have nothing on you, Kansas, going down in there and yanking hard on a handful of resonating chords. Whew.
Years ago (and it's high time I do it again!) I read the whole Bible from cover to cover. I remember the story of David and Absalom making me cry at the time, one of the most moving, tragic accounts in a Book that is full of them. So horrible. As if losing a child any time, in any way, is not horrible enough.

Years ago (and it's high time I do it again!) I read the whole Bible from cover to cover. I remember the story of David and Absalom making me cry at the time, one of the most moving, tragic accounts in a Book that is full of them. So horrible. As if losing a child any time, in any way, is not horrible enough.

Good for you. I've never managed managed it, like a big slug. Here's where one could heroically claim it to be on the Bucket List, but have a lot of respect for those who have passed on. Dad ( Lutheran minister ) would be in Heaven laughing so hard he'd wake the rest of them up.

The Grant and Buckner meeting is an important part of the tour at Grant Cottage Historic Site. Visitors are faced with the reality of the relationship that Grant may have had with his former enemies. It opens a lot of doors for reflection on the matter. The meeting and Grant's personal note to Buckner were widely printed at the time and a few depictions resulted from the poignant encounter. As somebody had mentioned Buckner did bring his...ahem...young bride with him for the visit as well. Buckner would go on to serve as one of Grant's pallbearers alongside Joe Johnston in a great show of respect and unity.

PUCK1885P336192.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Back