Grant is comparable to the German Hero Arminius.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

wausaubob

Major
Arminius led an alliance of Northern European tribes that rebelled against the Roman Empire and set a limit on the extent of Roman influence. The tribesmen won. The ancient world, with its engineering and legal expertise, had a limit and the world that eventually formed that overwhelmed it, was heavily based on Scandanavian, Germanic and East European tribes that were never conquered.
Grant also set a limit on slavery and empire, and his alliance of Midwesterners, Irish immigrants, British North Americans, German immigrants, and African Americans, maintained democracy under a severe test.
If Hollywood can make a movie about Spartacus, who lost, but who represented a cause that never was completely suppressed, then it can make a movie about Grant, and his coalition.

kevikens

2nd Lieutenant
I think that such a coalition may have existed but I think Lincoln may have had more to do with that than Grant. I think a Civil War analogy involving the great Herman (Arminius to the speakers of Latin) would have been if Jeff Davis had pulled off a successful rebellion and then insulated the South from the more liberal practices of the Western world. Recall that Arminius had earlier been an officer in the Roman army and a Roman citizen just as Davis had been a citizen of the US and a former army officer. As for any barbarian similarities, I'll leave that for others to speculate on but I'm always up for another Civil war movie, perhaps a time travel one, where the Rebel Arminius returns to lure the Union forces into forests of Chickamauga (in the absence of any American dark Teutobergs), absolutely annihilates the Union Army, Grant falls on his sword rather than surrender and Lincoln, wailing for the dead Grant to give him back his Corps, withdraws from the South, just letting it alone, explaining to viewers why there are statues everywhere today in the South of a blond, pigtailed , horned helmet, gladius bearing, barbarian. I love alternative history.

wausaubob

Major
Arminius was a rebel, so it there is that contrast to Grant.
Grant conquered, like Julius Caeser, but he ducked on the final act and was in Philadelphia for the assassination scene.
However Grant's conquest was different. He freed slaves, instead of enslaving his enemies.
Unlike Caesar, Grant made sure the principle of separation between the military and the civilian government was re-instituted. Unity and peaceful transfer of power were his primary goals. Grant re-established what George Washington had founded.
Lee had died. Lincoln had been murdered. Davis was a Confederate apologist. Grant had to clean up the mess.

kevikens

2nd Lieutenant
There is always a danger in making analogies, especially across the centuries. By the way the 'caesar' of the time of Arminius was Caesar Augustus, not Julius Caesar who had gone to the Elysian fFelds some 53 years before the Teutoberg Forest.

wausaubob

Major
Fighting the war that freed the descendants of the involuntary immigrants from Africa was an epic achievement.
This reversed one of the consequences of European imperialism.
The next effort was helping the Mexican republicans evict the French.
The next effort was to stop, to the extent it was possible, the extermination of the indigenous tribes of the U.S.
There is a pattern. :smile coffee:

diane

Retired User
Fighting the war that freed the descendants of the involuntary immigrants from Africa was an epic achievement.
This reversed one of the consequences of European imperialism.
The next effort was helping the Mexican republicans evict the French.
The next effort was to stop, to the extent it was possible, the extermination of the indigenous tribes of the U.S.
There is a pattern. :smile coffee:
There is a pattern...but I don't think Grant knew about it!