Grant fails Butler at Ft Fisher

Since you have special knowledge of Butler, I wondered which one of the biographies you think is the best? I want to buy it to read in conjunction with reading Butlers Book, which I got for Christmas but haven't started yet.
Humm let me think about this since there isnt A book since most of them are part of the myth of the war.
I can give short books that can give e perspective but none which are scholarly tomes that are balanced

Sir, so if you read the huge Butler book you get one side..if you read the contemporary Butler in NO book written by Parton (the US leading biographer at the time) you get a supporting read. If you read Stormy Petrel or Lincolns Scapegoat General, you get the other side.
There is no balanced biography that I have found...Both sides embrace the MYTH

Sir, so if you read the huge Butler book you get one side..if you read the contemporary Butler in NO book written by Parton (the US leading biographer at the time) you get a supporting read. If you read Stormy Petrel or Lincolns Scapegoat General, you get the other side.
There is no balanced biography that I have found...Both sides embrace the MYTH

Many thanks! Do any of these spend any signifcant time on Butler's post-war political career?

Mmmm, only Scapegoat General touches
Many thanks! Do any of these spend any signifcant time on Butler's post-war political career?
Only Scapegoat General touches on it. His post war career is best done in pieces. For example his eulogy by The City of Boston of the eulogy by Colby College do a good job hitting those high points

After the First Battle of Fort Fisher, a Joint Congressional Committee on the conduct of the War, composing of eight members who were to investigate the failure. All principle players gave extensive testimony and the official record presented. Butler represented himself very skillfully and presented a damning case against Porter; that centered on three major areas that caused the collapse of the operation. First, was the gross delay Porter caused which obliviously tipped off the Confederates that the assault was pending. Secondly, Porter’s limited bombardment which inflict little damage to the Fort and its garrison which would make any assault murderous. Thirdly, Porter’s refusal to run one or more Federal warships past the Fort as had been done successfully at Fort Jackson/Phillips at New Orleans and elsewhere despite the urging of Butler. After hearing all the evidence, it was a unanimous final report ruling that Butler was fully justified in calling off the assault upon Fort Fisher and withdrawing the Federal forces.

After the First Battle of Fort Fisher, a Joint Congressional Committee on the conduct of the War, composing of eight members who were to investigate the failure. All principle players gave extensive testimony and the official record presented. Butler represented himself very skillfully and presented a ****ing case against Porter; that centered on three major areas that caused the collapse of the operation. First, was the gross delay Porter caused which obliviously tipped off the Confederates that the assault was pending. Secondly, Porter’s limited bombardment which inflict little damage to the Fort and its garrison which would make any assault murderous. Thirdly, Porter’s refusal to run one or more Federal warships past the Fort as had been done successfully at Fort Jackson/Phillips at New Orleans and elsewhere despite the urging of Butler. After hearing all the evidence, it was a unanimous final report ruling that Butler was fully justified in calling off the assault upon Fort Fisher and withdrawing the Federal forces.
True. Porter never forgave him though it did t really hurt his career. Butler being aVERY talented lawyer saved his backside. Once the gunpowder ship was blown up to far away since the Navy was afraid and Grant was skeptical . The joint operation was doomed.

Back