Grant by Jean Edward Smith

Dave Wilma

2nd Lieutenant
I got turned on to this author by way of his bio of Dwight Eisenhower. I was impressed by his scholarship and his balanced approach to the topic. Mostly I learned things. With Grant had the same experience. Smith treats his subject well without "going native" and I learned things about Grant. I knew most of the facts about the Civil War campaigns and his leadership and command style and how even Henry Halleck, who tried hatchet jobs on him as a subordinate, got behind the man. After the death of Lincoln Grant was arguably the most powerful man in the country. He could have easily abused his position, but kept to his principles of what was best for the nation.

What was most informative was the Grant presidency. The standard riff was that his administration was corrupt and incompetent. Corruption, yes, but some allegations against his cabinet members were unproven. I was particularly impressed at Grant's impact on the direction of the Republican Party and U.S. economic policy in his veto of an inflationary passed by Congress.

Grant is a good read particularly for anyone interested in Civil War leaders.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
I got turned on to this author by way of his bio of Dwight Eisenhower. I was impressed by his scholarship and his balanced approach to the topic. Mostly I learned things. With Grant had the same experience. Smith treats his subject well without "going native" and I learned things about Grant. I knew most of the facts about the Civil War campaigns and his leadership and command style and how even Henry Halleck, who tried hatchet jobs on him as a subordinate, got behind the man. After the death of Lincoln Grant was arguably the most powerful man in the country. He could have easily abused his position, but kept to his principles of what was best for the nation.

What was most informative was the Grant presidency. The standard riff was that his administration was corrupt and incompetent. Corruption, yes, but some allegations against his cabinet members were unproven. I was particularly impressed at Grant's impact on the direction of the Republican Party and U.S. economic policy in his veto of an inflationary passed by Congress.

Grant is a good read particularly for anyone interested in Civil War leaders.
Sounds like a really good book !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!