"Granny" Franklin's boys killed

One of my east Tennessee Confederate relatives was James Jefferson Land, (3 x 1st cousin). He migrated to east Tennessee with his widowed mother and two sisters from Wilkes County, NC in the mid-1850's. He served in Company D 63rd Tn Infantry and surrendered at Appomattox. His son, Thomas A. Land (1875-1934) married Tryphena ( Triphonia) Shelton (1875-1931) on Dec. 22, 1896 in Greene County, Tennessee. She was reportedly the 2nd child of Shadrach "Shad" Shelton and Margaret Sams. I believe they were from the Laurel ? I believe Shad's brother, Andrew was one of Kirk's men ?

Reportedly a photo of Margaret Sams Shelton

View attachment 295557
Shelton - Sams are definitely Madison names.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Not in my book (1988 softcover) on pages 126-127. Mossbacks? Home Guards? Not Home Guards - regular Confederate troops. Torture of women is Chapter 21 pages 227-230. Trotter only gives two notes for this chapter - both sources are Paludan's Victims. Chapter 21 is basically re-write of Paludan pages 94-96. What were Paludan's sources for torture? 1. Memphis Bulletin (whose source was Col. Robert A. Crawford, a unionist in east TN). Crawford's source was a "trustworthy person and written down on the spot." 2. New York Times (and numerous other northern papers) source was the Memphis Bulletin. 3. Thrilling Adventures of Daniel Ellis. Ellis source was an unidentifed informant. So all the sources for all the detailed torture come from the Union perspective. Grain of salt please - but I feel sure it would have played out same way if roles switched. One thing for sure is Lt. Col. Keith ordered that some women be whipped - he admitted to that. Guess you can tell by now I'm all about the SOURCE.
Your right about the page numbers in Bushwhackers".
In the book" Bitterly Divided the South's inner Civil War " David Williams Da Capo Press p.131- 134 Williams catalogs killing and torture of women . Williams cites the aforementioned "Victims" and Bushwhackers p. 47 -49. Also Bynum "Unruly women p. 135 ,145, 148 McKinney "Women's role in the Civil War Western North Carolina 44- 45 McCaslun Tainted Breeze 57 Fisher War at every door 74.
Leftyhunter

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Your right about the page numbers in Bushwhackers".
In the book" Bitterly Divided the South's inner Civil War " David Williams Da Capo Press p.131- 134 Williams catalogs killing and torture of women . Williams cites the aforementioned "Victims" and Bushwhackers p. 47 -49. Also Bynum "Unruly women p. 135 ,145, 148 McKinney "Women's role in the Civil War Western North Carolina 44- 45 McCaslun Tainted Breeze 57 Fisher War at every door 74.
Leftyhunter
Lefty,
Isn't this the same book that had Henry Berry Lowrie's Indian gang attacking Confederate military installations in my area?

It's from a Shelton family history. The Sheltons being perhaps the most prominent residents of Shelton Laurel, I am inclined to take Arthur Paul Shelton's word for it over that of the mysterious Dan Slagle who offered no sources at all.

Who exactly is Dan Slagle? If Slagle read Trotter at all he is being disingenuous, Trotter never said Granny Franklin was pro-Confederate before her three sons were killed by Kirk's men. From page 135: “It was typical of the confused and tangled loyalties of the region that although Granny Franklin had four sons that sniped for the Confederacy, she herself inclined toward the Union... at least, until the day Kirk's Unionists paid her a visit.”
Dan Slagle is me - madisonman

So what's not true about the above article?
Leftyhunter
Marshall was not "captured" before Christmas in 1862. It was raided (the salt raid) on January 8, 1863. Brig. Gen. Davis actually came with some troops to Madison County himself in late January '63 (after the massacre). James L. Henry did not become a judge until 1868. Nancy's sons were not killed in the early spring of '64. They were killed on Sept. 27, 1864. The sons killed were Balus, James and Josiah. (Maybe Balus was Robert Balus Norton?) Nancy was not there according to her statements in her pension file. Nancy's maiden name was Shelton. She married first Drury Norton, then George Franklin. She did have a brother James (James Shelton - not Norton). There is no documented evidence found to date that verifies any of the Mars Hill College episode or the murder trial of James Norton (or James Shelton) in Burnsville. No evidence to prove it wrong, but the story of men and women enjoying a feast on a warm day and the man crowing like a rooster are probably just that - a great story based on oral tradition and passed down over the years.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)