Grandma’s Goop: Victorian Baking Spray

Grandma's Goop (hope you appreciate the name @7th Mississippi Infantry :wink:) is a simple homemade concoction for greasing and flouring a cake pan. It's so old, it's new again.

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1 cup shortening
1 cup oil (I prefer canola.)

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk thoroughly by hand. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.

Refrigerate in an airtight container.

When ready to use:
Dip a pastry brush into the mixture and spread it over the bottom and sides of the baking pan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandma's Goop (hope you appreciate the name @7th Mississippi Infantry :wink:) is a simple homemade concoction for greasing and flouring a cake pan. It's so old, it's new again.

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1 cup shortening
1 cup oil (I prefer canola.)

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk thoroughly by hand. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.

Refrigerate in an airtight container.

When ready to use:
Dip a pastry brush into the mixture and spread it over the bottom and sides of the baking pan.
That maybe old school,but know a lot of bakers that do use this today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps a silly question...but why not just butter or lard? I know butter was/is expensive, but if you had a cow...

That's not a silly question at all. Some recipes call for greasing and then flouring a cake pan. In those cases you have to get rid of the excess flour after you put it in the pan. That can be messy for some folks (like me). This recipe combines these steps so there's no excess flour in the pan.

Last edited:
Perhaps a silly question...but why not just butter or lard? I know butter was/is expensive, but if you had a cow...
When you mix the ingredients together you get an emulsion that is eay to use and spreads easily using a brush.it will cut you time more then in half so when you do alot of baking it becomes a big time saver.
You make it well in advance so you always have .it just will make you life easier,but if you are just baking one cake it doesn't matter,but if you have to grease 50 muffin pans of a dozen muffins each you want the grease.

Shortening like "Crisco"? Uggh, that stuff is nothing but trans fat in a can. Can butter or lard be used instead? Crisco does make a for a suitable sealant when loading a cap and ball revolver. I also used to use it mixed 50- 50 with beeswax melted down in a pan, dip the skirt end of the minie bullet in it and allow it to harden and then placed into the pre-filled plastic tubes (with your charge of black powder). This was back in my N-SSA days as a competition musket shooter. We could always tell when a shooter was using pure Crisco to lube the bullets. They'd smoke going down range towards the targets. And it would be stinky, like a frying pan with Crisco in it with the heat up too high.....

Shortening like "Crisco"? Uggh, that stuff is nothing but trans fat in a can. Can butter or lard be used instead?

Butter can be used as a substitute for shortening. Some saturated fats like coconut oil can also be used, but they might have more flavor than you want.
especially the refridgerator part smilie_girl_006.gif

Our Victorians might have made a large batch at one time and placed it in the ice house, but more than likely they just made what was needed. :giggle:

The sturdy door of the Monticello ice house (pictured below) helped keep ice for months. These were common on plantations in the south.
8963045.png

Last edited:
Butter can be used as a substitute for shortening. Some saturated fats like coconut oil can also be used, but they might have more flavor than you want.

Our Victorians might have made a large batch at one time and placed it in the ice house, but more than likely they just made what was needed. :giggle:

The sturdy door of the Monticello ice house (pictured below) helped keep ice for months. These were common on plantations in the south.
8963045.png
oops, i always forget the ice trade

Back