Grand National Baby Show at Barnum's Museum: 1862

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
In another forum I posted an advertisement for A Dog Show at Barnum's Museum. I thought the Ladies' Tea might enjoy a look at the following event.
babies - Edited.jpg

[New York Tribune, June 14, 1862]​

No sooner had the Grand National Barnum’s Baby Show closed at From Barnum’s American Museum in New York, the Grand National Baby Show moved to Boston, where it opened at Barnum’s Aquarial Gardens on July 14.
bostonbaby.jpg

[Boston Evening Transcript, July 15, 1862]​

We loved our babies! Veritable wars raged on feeding and care in the era, and you could find around 20 articles in any ladies' magazine devoted to defeating disease, illustrations of happy babies and heck, baby fashions. The thing is ( and not to introduce pathos here ) but baby abandonment was a real problem and selling babies not uncommon. So we mostly loved our babies.

I've always worried about this little guy- Barnum's " Wisconsin Drummer ", almost a baby. He was only 4 years old and of course not a drummer in a Wisconsin regiment. But it's Barnum..... don't let a child get in the way of a good story or a profit. We tend to forget how many children were a little disposable. Barnum would ' buy ' them, literally, any child that seemed useful as an exhibit.

barnums drummer2.JPG

The problem was, we Americans bought tickets.

Back