Grand Army Punch

170525-rothbaum-civil-war-tease_zmtxnc.jpg
(Library of Congress)
In 1883, Patrick H. “Patsy” McDonough, a bartender from Rochester, New York, published a recipe for Grand Army Punch. Unless he served as a drummer boy, McDonough was too young to have worn the blue uniform, but he undoubtedly knew many who did. This punch recipe was published in 1883 as a salute to the veterans of the Grand Army of the Republic.

Grand Army Punch

Ingredients:
8 oz (1 cup) VSOP-grade cognac
8 oz (1 cup) Oloroso sherry
8 oz (1 cup) Sauternes or white dessert wine
1 bottle Champagne or other dry sparkling wine
The peel of 3 lemons & 2 oranges
4 oz Sugar
4 oz Lemon juice
4 oz Orange juice
Half of a Pineapple, cored and sliced into quarter-rings
1 2-quart Block of ice
Grated nutmeg for garnish

Directions:
The day before the Punch is needed: Add the citrus peels and sugar to a pint jar. Seal, shake and put aside. Make your ice block by putting a 2-quart container of water in the freezer.

The day the Punch is needed: Add the citrus juices to the jar with the peel-sugar mix, reseal and shake until sugar has dissolved.

To serve: pour the contents of jar into 2-gallon bowl. Add the block of ice, wines and pineapple rings. Fill with hot water, stir well, and grate nutmeg over top.

I'm going to try this one. It reminds me of the Punch that saved Savannah.

Too bad I can't drink. Is that photo the human version of Dogs Playing Poker? I had a black one that I picked up at the Martin Luther King Center in Atlanta and wound up giving to a black relative when I left San Franciscograd.

Donna. I concur with your opinion that this recipe is a great holiday punch. I propose a toast to our good friend Miss Ellie for providing the food forum with never ending award winning culinary delights and tasty libations. Cheers!!! :wink: David.

170525-rothbaum-civil-war-tease_zmtxnc.jpg
(Library of Congress)
In 1883, Patrick H. “Patsy” McDonough, a bartender from Rochester, New York, published a recipe for Grand Army Punch. Unless he served as a drummer boy, McDonough was too young to have worn the blue uniform, but he undoubtedly knew many who did. This punch recipe was published in 1883 as a salute to the veterans of the Grand Army of the Republic.

Grand Army Punch

Ingredients:
8 oz (1 cup) VSOP-grade cognac
8 oz (1 cup) Oloroso sherry
8 oz (1 cup) Sauternes or white dessert wine
1 bottle Champagne or other dry sparkling wine
The peel of 3 lemons & 2 oranges
4 oz Sugar
4 oz Lemon juice
4 oz Orange juice
Half of a Pineapple, cored and sliced into quarter-rings
1 2-quart Block of ice
Grated nutmeg for garnish

Directions:
The day before the Punch is needed: Add the citrus peels and sugar to a pint jar. Seal, shake and put aside. Make your ice block by putting a 2-quart container of water in the freezer.

The day the Punch is needed: Add the citrus juices to the jar with the peel-sugar mix, reseal and shake until sugar has dissolved.

To serve: pour the contents of jar into 2-gallon bowl. Add the block of ice, wines and pineapple rings. Fill with hot water, stir well, and grate nutmeg over top.
That may have a strange taste,like making coffee from your shoe soles.

Back